46. One Step

"You are out of your mind, you want to break him out?" Sam yelled as we both just looked to Bucky.

He had given us this entire spiel about wanting to break him out. He was convinced that Zemo had something that could actually help us. I didn't even have the mentality to speak right now. I shook my head and turned away from them both. I didn't care if Zemo had the solution to world peace. I didn't trust him any farther than I can throw him.

"Where even the hell are we?" Sam asked as we walked into a dark warehouse that was on prison property. I had no idea why we were here or rather how we even got down here. It was a maximum security prison so this didn't even feel right. "We have one of the most dangerous men in the world behind bars and you want to get him out. He's just going to mess with our minds, especially yours Bucky."

"We've also got 8 super soldiers on the run." Bucky said defending himself. "And counting apparently."

I found a light switch and flipped the lights on and we were surrounded by a workshop. Cars were everywhere and covered in tarps. I even saw work benches and parts scattered everywhere. Reminded me of Tony's garage except instead of cars it was suits and machinery.

"Super soldiers go against everything he's ever done." Bucky said looking to Sam. "He's crazy, but he still has a code."

"What do you mean it goes against everything he's ever done?" I asked because as far as I was concerned he worked for HYDRA. "He literally created me."

"He hated HYDRA. He worked for them to try and take, them down from the inside. He was the reason why we all had a huge civil war amongst the Avengers while you were in Berlin the second time. He hates anyone with super human powers or abilities, he wants those super soldier gone as much as we do." Bucky said and I just turned away again.

I was so confused and lost. I didn't understand any of this and the fact that we were asking for help from a man who had hurt me now seemingly out of disgust made me sick. He wasn't just some evil man who worked for HYDRA. He was an undercover spy working against HYDRA. Though it sounded like that would mean he was on my side, this almost made him worse than HYDRA itself.

"I've been on the wrong side of that code and so have you Bucky!" Sam said raising his voice. "He blew up the UN, he killed king T'Chaka, not to mention he framed you for it!"

Bucky shot Sam a glare and I could see Bucky was getting angry.

"What about the Wakandan's? Do you think the Wakandan's forgot about that?" He asked angrily. "That was a rhetorical question. They didn't. I get why this matters to you, but it's pushing you off the deep end coming here."

"Sam we don't know how they're getting the serum. We don't even know how many of them there are!" Bucky said clearly trying to persuade him. "Let me just walk you through a hypothetical? Can I?"

"What did you do?" Sam asked almost in a growl as he turned back to Bucky.

"I didn't do anything." Bucky said in a weak voice.

My shoulders sank when I realized where Bucky's tone was going. I knew he was lying. It was rare he did, but he was lying right now. My hands balled into fists fearing what on earth he could have done.

"The weakest point in any system isn't the software, the hardware, it's the meatware. The human element. Now in this lock up it's nine to one prisoners to guards. And if two prisoners start fighting them the protocol says four guards have to respond." He said with his hands up in defense.

"James Buchanan Barnes." I said in a cold tone through my teeth.

"So why would two prisoners randomly start fighting at that moment?" Sam asked angrily.