60. Longing

I was dressed and ready for Peter, Mary Jane, and aunt May to come over. I was getting the last of dinner ready because they were do in a little under an hour now. Bucky and I had been up late finishing up the last of our shopping and placing everything under the tree last night. My sleep wasn't very fulfilling because Morgan was up at first light ready to rip open every package. It was worth the exhaustion to see her face light up more than the tree itself.

Growing up I never had the privilege of enjoying a holiday, much less once as extravagant as Christmas. I was happy to give her the childhood I know I never got and living through her vicariously was enough to fill that void. She played will all of her new toys and spent over an hour trying to decide which new clothes to wear. Bucky however took over handling Morgan for most of today. I had spent most of my day preparing dinner and making sure the house was ready for guests.

Peter and Mary Jane came over almost weekly to see us and Morgan. We'd often would do family game nights on Fridays letting Morgan stay up much later than I'd ever let Tony know. She was a loved and spoiled rotten child, but I knew that's exactly what he'd want. She was his world and only deserved to be treated as such.

Bucky had taken her down to the lake to let her walk on the frozen lake. She would love to see Bucky struggle to walk as he would slip and slide all over the place. Though he was highly trained, graceful wasn't exactly in his vocabulary. You'd think with as coordinated as he was, that he's be able to manage but clearly not.

She had taken up figure skating lessons along side her dance classes and soccer practice so she made Bucky feel as clumsy as ever. It was Morgan's world, we were just simply living in it. As long as she was happy she could do any sport or activities she wanted.

They were also supposed to come back with some firewood for the fireplace, but it had been a little longer than I had expected. I peaked my head to see through the window, but it was frosted over. I washed my hands and dried them off before deciding to go look for them.

I went for the door and grabbed my coat and placed it over my dress. It was rare that I wore dresses, but it was Christmas and Bucky had bought me a new one. He wanted to see me in it so I wore it feeling much too over dressed even for Christmas. It was a long sleeve dress thankfully because it was quite cold this year. It was a white and very fitted; very much not my normal wear. I however, could see why he had chosen it for me once I put it on. The white rhinestones and high neckline was something I'd never get for myself, but I loved it seeing it on me.

I wrapped my grey coat around me feeling the cold wisps of air around my exposed legs as soon as I opened the door. I stepped outside seeing the sun had just set over the lake. I looked for them and couldn't see where they normally would play over by Tony's house. I walked out into the path between the two houses.

I grew worried as I walked out but the lights that lit up the dock of our house caught my attention. A long line of candles lit a path down to the dock where Morgan and Bucky stood as if they had been expecting me. I slowly walked down there seeing the decorating that they had been doing rather than playing and getting firewood.

I was taken back and without words not understanding what was going on. As I neared closer I saw Bucky's soft smile and nervous stance. Morgan was standing at his side and as soon as I made it within a few feet she ran up to me and I picked her up as she wore a grin bigger than I'd seen all day.

"What's going on?" I asked her genuinely very confused.

"Uncle Bucky has an extra gift for you." She said literally shaking from excitement.

"Is that so?" I asked looking to Bucky as I looked at him at the end of the dock.

"Go on! He's nervous." She said and I set her down and she ran back up to him taking his hand as he stood there waiting patiently.

"Hi." He said as I stood a few feet in front of him.

"Hi." I said softly as I looked to him. "You want to explain what all this about?"

"I could." He said shrugging and I saw him drop to one knee and somehow I just realized what had been going on. "Or I could just get to the point and ask you to be my wife, again."

"Again? You already asked her?" Morgan asked and I couldn't help, but shake my head and laugh.

"I know can you believe she told me no." He said looking at her now that he was eye to eye with her. "You better say yes otherwise I will ask a third time."

I looked at him feeling myself shaking in my shoes, not even from the cold. I recognized the ring he held out in front of me from what felt like ages ago when he had asked me the first time in the heat of the moment. I remember how he had asked Tony for permission and how Natasha had helped him pick it out. I felt a pull on my hand as I stood there frozen in place.

I pressed my lips together and I felt my eyes watering. All I could focus on was his soft and inviting smile looking back up to me and how almost disgustingly in love I was with him. Morgan stood next to him and her smile was huge as she looked between Bucky and I.

"Of course." I said laughing nervously.

He got to his feet and I felt him wrap an arm around my waist. I hugged him tightly laughing in joy because I never thought I'd get here. My love for him was almost always there, but I never felt like I'd be alive long enough to have this. I was in his arms for a long while before my feet touched the ground again. I saw his own red eyes as he placed the ring around my finger and it fit like a glove.

"Now I know it might be a little much all at once, but I have another question to ask you." He said and my eyes filled with confusion. "Well I guess a question for both of you."

"Wait what?" Morgan asked and I just looked at him in confusion.

"I've been talking with Happy for a few weeks and if you would let us I think Auntie Val and I would love it if you do us the honor of being your parents." He asked and he pulled out some forms and handed them to me.

I took them as he went back into his jacket and pulled out something for Morgan. I didn't even see what he had given her because my eyes were stuck on the paper. At the very top "adoption records" was headlined and the various information about Morgan was on the paper. I looked up and saw Bucky holding out a necklace to her and her face was almost emotionless.

The shape of the necklace was a sliver circle with a Diamond in the center almost in the same shape as the chest piece Tony had worn. She looked up at Bucky and then to me and her face looked so surprised. I couldn't believe he had put so much thought into this, not that he wasn't thoughtful, but just all of this. It was too much to even fully comprehend all at once.

"Really?" She asked in a quiet tone.

"If you'll take us." He said looking up to me, I knelt down next to Bucky and looked up to Morgan.

"Really auntie Val?" Morgan asked and I saw her bottom lip curl a little bit and her eyes start to water.

"Without a doubt kiddo." I said with a smile as I used my thumb to wipe a tear off her face.

She launched forward and threw an arm around both of our necks. I heard her cries and I felt tears stream down my own face knowing I was the happiest I had ever felt in my entire life. I looked to Bucky who was teary eyed as well. He reached around and pressed my forehead against his.

While it was far from perfect, I had a family. Something I had been longing deep down for a very long time. If only longing could describe how badly I had wanted this.