Chapter 13

After that day, Theo and I haven't spoken since. It's mostly my fault, as I have been avoiding him and ignoring all of his texts and calls. I've also been spending more time with Mason and he's been helping me figure out what I'm going to do with the whole Hayden situation, which at first, he didn't take too well.

He ignored me for about a day and then finally started talking to me again, because he was extremely mad at me, for doing that to Hayden. I too am angry at myself for doing it to her. She doesn't deserve that.

Although I told Mason about Hayden, I didn't tell him about Theo. I don't think I'll ever really tell anyone about him.

"You have to tell her today," Mason tells me. "It's not fair on her or on yourself. Just come clean with it. She'll probably be super pissed with you, but I know she'll understand in the end."

I nod slightly, unsure of what to say back. I know I need to tell Hayden and I know she'll understand, but how am I supposed to break her heart like that? She's basically planned out our lives together ever since I told her we're soulmates, so how can I break this news to her?

I know I brought it on myself and now I'm paying the consciences, but there has to be another way. Maybe there's a way out there where I can change my soulmate, so that way I'll have a soulmate and I will also be there soulmate.

"She's about to leave, so she'll be here soon." I tell Mason, reading the message from Hayden.

"How are you feeling?" He asks me.

"Honestly," I take a deep breath in. "I feel like the shittiest person alive. Not only to I have to break up with someone I love, but I also have to break her heart in more ways than one. I already lie to her about the supernatural world, but I'm also lying to her about being soulmates."

"At least you're doing the right thing by telling her," he reassures me.

If it's the right thing to do, why does it feel so wrong?

I feel my phone vibrate, my heart drops when I read Hayden's message.

From: Hayden:

I'm waiting outside x

"She's here," I tell Mason, panic in my voice as I look down at the message. "I can't tell her. Not yet. I can't break it to her, Mason."

I feel my chest begin to tighten, my head spinning. I quickly sit down, placing my hands in my head as I take deep breaths in. I feel Mason sit next to me, placing his hand on my back.

"I know it sucks now and it'll probably suck for a while," he tells me. "But it's what's best for her. She doesn't deserve to find out on her birthday or by someone else. You need to tell her today."

"I know," I whisper.

I stand back up, my head spins fading away. I grab my jacket, thank Mason for having me over and head outside to Hayden's car. I jump in, kissing her cheek as she begins to drive to our spot.

I sit there anxiously, going over in my head what I'm going to tell her. I don't know whether I take the slow approach or if I just get straight to the point. And when am I supposed to tell her? Do I wait until she's about to drop me off, so I can give her one last good day, or do I tell her as soon as we get there, ruining the day we had planned?

"Ready?" She asks me, stopping the car.

I get out, quickly running over to her side to open the door for her. I take her hand and we begin walking over to the lake. This is where Hayden and I had our first kiss. It was also our first date together and where I asked her to be my girlfriend.