Chapter 23

I wince as Melissa sticks a needle into Hayden's arm, filling her body with another fluid. I hold onto Hayden's hand, taking her pain whenever I can. It's only Scott, Melissa, Hayden and I left. Everyone else has gone.

I hold onto Hayden's hand tighter, taking as much pain before it becomes too much for me. She lets out a small sigh, closing her eyes once more. Her skin has grown pale and her heart is slowing done with each beat.

I think back to what Theo and I were talking about in the car about the bite. Scott knows how much Hayden means to me; I know he won't let her die. If the bite is the only way to save her, I know he'll do it.

"Scott," I croak out, my whole-body fatigued from taking away Hayden's pain. I hadn't realised the toll it was taking on me until now. "What about the bite?"

"What?" He asks me, his eyebrows furrowed.

"What about the bite? There's a chance it will save her, it's about the best option we have right now," I tell him.

"Liam, she's too weak." Scott tells me, looking down at Hayden. "We don't know if it'll kill her or not."

"It's the only option we have right now!" I yell out, letting go of her hand. "She's dying, Scott! The bite is the only thing that will save her!"

I look into his eyes, anger rising inside of me. He stands there, looking over at Hayden and then back to me. He takes a deep breath in and out, his eyes softening as he places a hand on my shoulder.

"No," he shakes his head. "It's too risky with the state she's in right now. I can't risk it, Liam. I won'.t do it."

I clench my jaw, shaking my head as I avoid looking at him. I roll my hands into a fist, trying to calm myself before I did anything I would regret. I get why he doesn't want to risk it, but this may be the only thing that's going to save Hayden. I need Scott to do this for Hayden, for me.

"Please," I speak calmly, staring into his eyes.

He shakes his head once more, giving me his finale answer. I roll my eyes, walking away from Scott before the situation escalates. I slam my fist onto the bench, trying to remain calm.

"Liam, you need to understand why I can't do thi-" he stops abruptly, looking down at his phone. "I need to get this."

I roll my eyes once more, going back to Hayden's side. I take her hand more aggressively than I meant to. I hold it tightly, closing my eyes as her pain is transferred to me. I let go, gasping as I catch my breath.

"I need to go," Scott runs back into the room, hanging up the phone. "Lydia just called me; she needs me at the school. Call me if you need anything."

"Of course, you need to go," I mutter under my breath, knowing he would be able to hear me.

He gives me a sorry look before leaving. I stay by Hayden's side, watching as Melissa pumps her body with fluids and checks her vitals every 10 minutes.

Even though Mason and I haven't really spoken since last night, I've been keeping in touch with him about Hayden. He's supposed to arrive at the animal clinic any minute now. Ever since Corey... died, Mason has fallen off the planet of the Earth.

It's only been a day, but no one's been able to reach him. His phone goes straight to voicemail, he doesn't answer his door, all of his social media's have been deactivated. I was surprised when I got a message back from him tonight.

"I need my sister," Hayden speaks, her face scrunching up with pain. "I need my sister. I don't want to die without her."

"Hey, listen to me, you're not going to die. You're going to be okay," I tell her, even though I think we all know how this is going to end.