Chapter 44

My mouth suddenly becomes dry, the words unable to escape my mouth. Theo slowly lays back down, clutching his stomach where the wounds once were. He winces slightly, clearly still in pain. He lets out a shaky breath, looking me in the eyes.

I continue to stand there, eyes wide with shock as he looks at me. A small smile spreads across his face.

"You're safe," he whispers, covering his eyes with his arm.

My attention snaps to the door as Malia and Isaac come running through. Scott pulls Isaac aside and starts explaining everything about the connection between the Beast and the Argents. Malia stays in the doorway, staring at Theo.

"He's awake?" She whispers to Stiles, scrunching her nose slightly.

He nods slightly, shrugging. Malia growls, storming out of the room, Stiles following behind her. I choose to ignore them, refusing to leave Theo's side.

"How are you feeling?" I finally ask, sitting beside him.

"Tired, sore, hungry." He tells me, removing his arm from his eyes. I wipe the tears from his eyes, now realizing why he was hiding behind his arm.

"You should go home and get some rest," Deaton tells me. "Looks like you're going to be okay from here. But the moment something doesn't feel right, call me straight away."

I thank Deaton, helping Theo off the bench. I hand him a jacket so he can cover himself up. I throw his arm around my shoulder, taking most of his weight, helping him out to the car. He winces as we begin to walk, grabbing his side, taking a deep breath in.

"Are you okay?" I ask him, worry lacing my voice.

"I'm fine, just a little tender still. I just need some sleep and then I'll be good as new," he tells me, giving me a reassuring smile.

He gets inside the car, letting out a sigh. He rests his head on the headrest, closing his eyes. I get in the driver's side, unsure where I'm even going to go. I can't take him back to mine, because both my parents are home tonight. I don't want to have to explain anything to them.

"Are you parents' home?" I ask Theo.

"No," he tells me. "They haven't been home for weeks. I got them to leave before they could get hurt."

I can't help but smile at this. Just knowing that he has other people out there who he cares for. He didn't want his parents getting hurt, so he got them to leave, but he stayed here. Why would he choose to stay here? Why not go with them?

I move a piece of hair from Theo's face, listening to his breathing as he falls asleep. I start up the car, putting in Theo's address. I drive more carefully than I normally would. I slow right down at speed bumps and do everything in my power to avoid potholes. Theo sleeps the whole drive home, not waking once.

I shake him slightly, whispering his name until he wakes, his eyes heavy still with sleep. He rubs at his eyes, slowly getting out of the car, still in quite a bit of pain. He gets out of the car, bracing his hands on his knees as he takes a minute to regain his breath.

He throws his arm over my shoulder, allowing me to take most of his weight once again. We slowly make our way to the front door. I unlock the door, opening it to reveal the inside of his house.

I'm surprised by what the inside looks like. It looks like a normal house. Like a loving, homey, house. There are pictures on the walls, furniture filling the rooms, a specific aroma to the house. I look at the pictures on the wall, smiling at the baby photos of Theo.

My heart drops when I see a photo of Tara and Theo together. I hear Theo's heart skip a beat as he looks at the same photo, his eyes filled with tears.