Chapter 37

I stand on the sidelines with Scott and Stiles, looking around at the field. I focus on everyone as they jump around slightly, running up and down the field to warm up. I focus on each individual, trying to find something off about one of them.

We weren't meant to even have a game tonight, but we decided it was the best way to figure out who the beast was. It's a charity game, which is a good thing and a bad thing. It's a good thing because most of Beacon Hills is here tonight and it's a bad thing because, that means more people are in danger.

"We're still good with the plan?" Scott asks Stiles and I, watching everyone closely.

I nod in response, not daring to break my concentration from the field. I take a deep breath in, trying to catch a scent of something that'll help us find out who the beast is. Whether it's the smell of the chemicals the Dread Doctors have lying around or the smell of... blood.

Scott and I are in charge of catching a scent from someone tonight, whether it's someone on the field or off the field. Stiles is in charge of checking people's shoes for any trace of blood, Corey and Mason are going through everyone's bags, Malia has the responsibility of keeping an eye out for anything odd, and Kira got told to stay close to Scott.

She's here for when the fight starts.

I turn towards the crowd, my heart skipping a beat as I see Theo standing there. I furrow my eyebrows, watching as he looks around, looking just as confused as I probably do right now. Theo has no reason to be here. He isn't on the team and he has no friends on the team and he definitely wouldn't have shown up here for me. He isn't that stupid.

Unless he's here to help the... Dread Doctors. Maybe he was lying the entire time and he never really did love me. Maybe he did just want to get close to me to use me and get to my friends. I push the thought out of my head, ignoring Theo as he continues to look around.

"You good here?" Scott asks me, patting me on the shoulder.

"I'm good," I tell him, nodding.

Scott and Stiles leave, leaving me to stand here alone. I see someone approach from the corner of my eyes, my heart beating faster than before as he slowly approaches. I turn away from him, wanting to avoid anything to do with him.

If Scott and the others see me talking to Theo, I don't even want to know what they would think of the situation. Especially with what Stiles saw earlier today.

"Liam," Theo speaks softly, goosebumps rising all over my body as he speaks. "I think we're here to the same thing. Find out who the beast is and stop the Dread Doctors. I really do think we should work together."

"So, you can just end up killing all my friends? I don't think so." I tell him, looking everywhere but at him. I refuse to look at him right now.

Because I know that if I look at him... I won't be able to stop.

"Liam," there's pain in his voice as he says my name. I act as though I don't notice it. "I moved on from that the moment I said that I loved you. I moved on from all of that before I had even said those words actual. But the Dread Doctors, they want me dead too. Now that they have their perfect creation and I'm just another failure and traitor... I'm nothing to them."

I can hear the pain in his voice as he speaks, I don't even need to see his face to tell the look on it. A part of me want to embrace him in a hug, tell him that I forgive him and that he isn't a failure. That he is so much more than a creation and he shouldn't have to feel like this. But another part of me doesn't want to give into that. I don't want Theo to know I still care about him. I don't want to see my sympathy or feel my love. Not after what he's done.