Middle of Nowhere

When the car finally comes to a stop I lift my head and look outside. The area is sparsely populated and is very muddy. It looks like farmland but it is quite hard to tell for it is empty for what looks like miles. Suzzie signals for me to try and get out of the car. When I am unable to she puts one of my arms over her shoulder and places her hand on my waist to support me. The further we walk the more I can tell about the place we have stopped at.

We stopped at a place that was muddy and sparsely populated but we finished at a large house. The gardens were all fresh and green, welcoming on a summer's day apart from the fact that it was mid October, but welcoming all the same. The house is painted white with pink on the borders and the front door is painted a bright red but is now fading from all the years it has been there.

The owner of the house is a short man in his mid-thirties. He has a bushy moustache and gelled back hair. He has a cheery smile and twinkling eyes that sparkle in the fading sun. His cheeks are a pale red colour and his skin is a peachy colour where the sun failed to reach. He is wearing some smart trousers and a semi unbuttoned shirt which shows his probably hard as steel abs.

"The name Jim. What ya guys doing here. ''These are my parts." He said while taking out a cigar and lighting it.

"Suzzie. Can you tell the emm... nice man why we are here." I say signalling to Jim who was happily smoking even though it damages the lungs. Not that I can really say anything. Not both of my lungs are real. Seriously. Suzzie looks at me then Jim and smiles before speaking.

"Jim. We are here seeking refuge from a murderer's son who wants to kill Lady Maz here." She said pointing to me. Jim looks at us disgusted at us for we have brought our problem filled lives with us. "I saved you once, remember Jim. You said that I could come when I needed you to repair the favour. Please you don't understand what is at stake and more importantly who Lady Maz here really is. Please." He rolled his handsome eyes at us but stared longer at me both going back inside. We don't follow. Jim turns back around at us.

"Well. What ya doin' standing 'here. I can't protect ya out there. Come in." He says pointing inside his house before bringing an arm up with a pack of Cigars in it. "Where are my manners? Cig?" Suzzie shakes her head and I go and reach for one but she pulls me back.

"Lady Maz. They destroy your lungs. Anyway, aren't you only 14?" She says a d I drop my hand back down beside my waist. I glare at her before sighing.

"Suzzie, two things. One: I don't have lungs to be destroyed. Two: it is my 15 th birthday. So please let me. Just for my birthday." Suzzie just shakes her head at me.

"Oh. Don't be mean. Let the gal have a Ciggy. Just for today." Suzzie signs before nodding at him. Jim then brings out a cigar and hands it to me. As soon as I press it in my lips he lights it. It's something that I had never done before and I liked it. It did have an odd sensation but it tasted good. Now I know why my dad was so addicted to them. Not that I ever will be.

Me and Suzzie follow Jim into his living room. It is nicely furnished and has a large tv in the corner. The view out of the large windows is of his paddock with the large tree in the middle. Suzzie lays me down on one of the couches and goes to sit beside Jim on the couch facing me.

"So, Jim." I say as I take the cigar out of my mouth. "How did Suzzie here save your life?" I ask him before placing the cigar back in.

"Well, Lady Maz. Jim here was caught in a shootout done by some muggers. I was one of the first officers to get there. By this time no one had been killed. They had all been lined up and told to give over all their valuables. Jim was 3rd in line when I got there. He had refused to give anything which was both the brave and the stupid thing to do but anyway that's what he did. So one of the muggers dragged him out of the line and placed him on the floor and I saw this. They were just about to shoot him when I came and jumped onto them. Jim got up and ran outside and sat on one of the benches which is where I found him once all the muggers had been arrested. It sat down beside him and asked if he was okay. He then told me to find me when he can repay the favour. He then handed me his address and left. Never saw him again."