I'm Alive

The first time I come around I am lying flat in an operating theatre. Everything is numb and I have a small sense of my surroundings. I hear the familiar beeping of a heart monitor and the whirring of the surgeon's tools. Then I feel a sharpness in my chest and my vision is clouded with black spots. I finally pass out to the noise of the heart monitor flat lining.

----------

The second time I come around it isn't even properly. I just see some haze of a bright light pointed directly at me. It's over quickly as someone notices I'm awake and I secuum the drug cocktail I have been given.

----------

The third time I come around I am in a soft bed. There is a tube down my throat and the sound of a ventilator to my left. I relax my body and just listen to the sounds surrounding me. Everything is clearer, all the sounds and smells, the taste of the tube on my tongue. The feeling of the contents of my IV flowed down my vien. But then everything started to overwhelm me and I heard footsteps rush into my room and they inserted something into my IV. It soothed me and I relaxed but I didn't secuum to the sedative. I wanted to stay awake. Another voice, a familiar voice told me to just let it happen and I trusted them so I let myself fall into the darkness...

----------

I slowly became aware of my surroundings. The soft pillow laid under my head. The steady (and unusually fast) sounds of the heart monitor. The texture of the nasal canul forcing air into my lungs. The sounds of cars being driven down the road not that far away. The feeling of liquid (probably glucose water) goes from the IV into my body. Despite being fairly loud everything is calming, it's no longer overwhelming to my senses.

I slowly go and sit up on my bed, at first I stumble a bit but finally I manage to lean on my hands. I look around the room. It doesn't have much furniture. Mainly my bed in the middle of the room, a bench by the window and a chair beside me. It does have a good sized bedside table with my glasses and a vase with beautiful flowers. I lean over and smell them. Sweet but not too strong, just the way I like it.

To concentrate on my surroundings I don't notice a nurse coming in to check my vitals and stuff like that. The nurse nearly dropped their clipboard when they found the girl who had been comatose just hours before showing no sign of waking up, sitting upright in their bed singing to themselves. I turned my head and smiled. "Hello." I wave to them.

"Hi." They mumble back to me before quickly walking up to me. They placed a firm hand on my chest and laid me back down on my bed. Then they tilted the top of the bed up. I look at them confused. "Can't have you straining your back." I nod as they quickly leave the room. I just smile and look back out the window.

I hear 3 sets of feet walk into my room and I turn to see them. "Hi, you must be doctors. Can one of you kindly tell me how long I have been comatose? I don't want to miss my dad's birthday, I wanted to go and visit his grave."

The doctors came over to my bed with shocked expressions on their faces, completely ignoring my question. They went to either side of my bed and looked at me, they were completely baffled by what had happened, to be truthful so was I. One of them started to ask me a question but everything was unfocused and I had no clue why, maybe it was because I didn't feel safe with this man talking.

I wanted to answer him, but he was giving me a headache and I just wanted him to leave me be. My face showed that I was stressed and so they began to back away from my bed, their faces showing fear for some odd reason. Was there something they knew that I didn't? They looked at each other for a moment before the other man came up to me. His hair was neatly brushed, and his face was cheerily despite the fact he looked like he had not slept in a while.