What to do

I open the big, brown door and stare inside the large room. The headmaster is sitting by his desk, writing letters. He is unaware of my presence, and that of my teacher. As soon as he hears footsteps across his carpet his face jolts up and it points directly at me, dismissing the tired look of Ms Pippins. I gulp as I wave my hand, nervously. Ms Pippins, my teacher, is standing there glaring at me.

"Ms Pippins." The headmaster say's moving his head just a bit to look at her. "How may I help you?" He smiles at her like there is something about the two that no one knows about.

"Atchaco here was in a fight." Pippins said casually, as if talking about the weather on just a normal day. I tense up as I look at the headmaster's reaction.

"Who was this fight with, Atchaco?" He says looking at me, his sharp eyes showing no mercy which his soul was full of.

"It was with Andrew Einstein, sir." I say as I make a weak smile at him. Afraid of what was going to happen next. "Please don't be mad at me, I hope you can understand why I did it. I was wary at first, I ignored him, but I guess some insticint made me fight him, I don't really know.."

"It was only a matter of time before something like that happened, I do understand your predicament, do not worry."

"Before something like what, sir?" I ask, confused, did we have the same thought in mind, or did we both just get to the same conclusion. "Before I snapped and threatened his life."

"Before you attacked Andrew. I mean he did help with the murder of your father, everyone knows, I was just in a state of haze when I allowed to him join that I did not think of the consequences it could bring." He looks down at his desk and doesn't look back up. He shakes his head and then puts it in his hands. "Please go now. I will deal with Andrew, you do not need to worry. Make sure he doesn't bother you again, okay." I leave the room and close the door, but I don't move. I put my ear against the door and listen to what they are saying.

"What about their punishment, sir. Surely you must punish them for what they did. They did start the fight, not him."

"Yes, I know but they had a reason to fight. He is the cause for what happened. He did stalk them. They were just angry at him and I don't blame them. Now please may you leave so I can get on with my work. I will deal with the boy." I hear footsteps as Pippins comes closer to the door. A run to my class as she comes out of the door. She looks down both hallways and shrugs her shoulders. Then she turns left and goes to her class.

A week later

It is break time and once again I find myself in the playground trying to find Andrew. I really want to say sorry for how much of a jerk I have been to him but a part of me – a big part of me doesn't want to. It's said that what I did was correct, and I think that too. Then why do I want to say sorry? Well because my mother said, 'Treat people the way you want to be treated.' So, it doesn't matter what they do, you should be nice to them because then it might get better. Cause most people only be mean because people have been mean to them.

I walk over to behind the building where Andrew normally sits. He is not there, and he hasn't been for the past week. He has not been in school for the past week and I don't know why. I slump down on the ground and say a little prayer – for god to make sure that Andrew is okay. I then stand up and walk back inside and sit down on one of the couches. I don't reregister someone coming over and sitting beside me.

"Hey Atchaco, are you okay. I mean you haven't really been doing anything. Not your usual charming self I see, haven't been for a couple weeks, worried about you." They say. I turn my head to see Riley sitting beside me.

"Hi, Riley Longbottom. How are you?"

"You're not answering my question, but I am okay thanks for asking. Though I am worried about you. We are all wondering if you are okay. I mean it was 4 weeks ago. It can't possibly still affect you."

"Every day when I wake, I get reminders that he is gone. The laughter and playful arguments are gone. Everything that makes us a family is gone. Life doesn't feel like it was, and I feel like I'm the reason."

"That's because it isn't. Life is never the same every morning you wake up, everyone knows that."

"Not in that sense. My dad was the funny, carefree type of person whereas my mother was serious. I am bored every time I go home. It is why I make the most of the time I spend here."

"We are all sorry. We didn't know that, but do you need anything? Is there any way of cheering you up? I mean we can't have you like this forever."

"Not that I know of, sorry Riley, I truly am."

"It's okay. Just remember if you need anything and we mean anything just ask us okay. We promise to do anything if it means that it will cheer you up." I smirk but then she adds. "As long as what you want isn't against the rules or illegal. Your father would never want that even if it was for him."

"Yeah, you're right. Thanks for the talk." I said. Riley left down the corridor. Her puffy yet wavy brown-blond hair flowing behind her. I was about to get a book to read when I heard the bell for lessons go. I sighed as I got up, picked up my bag and left to get to lessons.

Later – at lunch

I sat down on the grass by the rugby pitches. Riley came running after me followed by some other people that I didn't recognise. They all came and sat around where I was sitting. I was about to get up and move somewhere else because I really wanted to be alone but one of them yanked my shirt and pulled me down, making me hit my head. I sat back up and eyed them. They were smirking and rubbing the back of their heads.

"Sorry about that." They said stretching out their hands. "I'm Arthur by the way." I look at Arthur. His face looked so smooth and soft. His eyes twinkled like the stars and I was put in a trance by them. He waved his hand in front of my face and I was pulled out of it.

"Sorry about that. I was just thinking about something, also not wanting to be mean or anything but I would rather be left alone so if you tell me what you guys want then I can be on my way."

"We were wondering who you were going to sit beside on the long bus journey to camp next week. Arthur here wanted to sit with you, didn't you Arthur?" Riley said, laughing. I could tell he was feeling uneasy by what she said.

"Do you really want to sit beside me, Arthur or are they just trying to be mean. Doing it as a dare?"

"I'm doing it as a dare. I heard that not a lot of people manage to sit with you because they get either bored and fall asleep or get hurt by something you say or do. Sometimes it's because they try to sit with you but you do something that means that they can't."

"I'm not a big fan of sitting with people. I prefer to be by myself, sitting alone in a room with a dim light on, but I do not mind sitting beside you, Arthur. I shan't hurt you. I can promise you that."

"Thanks. So, I will see you by the front of the bus next week?"

"Yes, see you next week then Arthur. I'm going to get my stuff sorted out for lessons. I only carry what I need for what I have." I say as I stand up and go back to my house. He chuckles and places his hands in his pockets. He turns the other way and for a split second I could swear I saw him blush. Do we feel the same way for each other?