26 I Truth

26 

TRUTH

A WHILE AGO

Reaching her destination, Jinhee studied her surroundings - shocked at choosing this place - a tourist attraction.

"Follow me!" a stern voice murmured as they approached her from behind, taking deep breaths, Jinhee obeyed, "don't even try to do anything" he informed her.

But Jinhee knew well enough of what to do and when, this moment was sure not the right place or time considering this man wasn't the kidnapper but one of his minions. Trailing behind him, like a dog waiting for his owner to show him the treasure, Jinhee anticipated this moment, as she followed the steps and turns, leading to nothing but open space.

Before she could open her mouth to speak, the man disappeared, leaving her to nothing but a queasy silence.

"Junghwa?", she called out, hoping for some response, but she got nothing. Was this a trick? she thought as no sight of Junghwa or the kidnappers was to be seen, "this better not be a joke" she scoffed, as the leaves below her feet crunched to death.

"Oh no, the little girl thinks this was a joke" she heard a voice behind her. Startled by the suddenness, she lost her balance, "be careful, thought you'd be more attentive" he appeared with a black mask that covered half his face.

"Who are you and where is Junghwa?" she asked.

"Don't worry, I'm a man of my words, I'll give you Junghwa but I hope you remember what you came here for?" he reminded her but nothing hindered her at this moment as her eyes laid on Junghwa - the unconscious girl, who sat in a wheelchair, "I did nothing to her, at least not yet, she'll wake up soon" he grinned under the mask.

Wrinkles crinkling up to show his happiness, "I'm here now, so let her go" Jinhee spoke, but the man wasn't willing to listen to a word of hers.

"Not so quick young lady, you got to get past my security check" he spoke as 5 people stepped behind her, which included 2 women both wearing a mask and started checking me up with a hand metal detector. 

Everything was happening so fast, Jinhee wasn't sure if she was prepared enough for this but one question lingered in her head, "who are you?" she knew well enough by now that this man must be backed by someone who holds power in Korea, a politician? A civil servant? - that was the real question who.

"Girl, I'm closer to you thank you think" crossing his arms he waited for the check to be completed - waiting to achieve his vicious plan. 

'He will regret it' he thought as he was close to his final move after a wait of 25 years. 

Passing the check, Jinhee breathed, walking forth towards the unknown man, that still hadn't revealed his identity.

"Let's go talk calmly, shall we?" he asked.

"I'm here for Junghwa, leave her and you will have all the time you want with me" Jinhee commanded but little did she know that this wasn't his plan.

"A bit too late for that, she's relaxing on the balcony" He informed as Jinhee's eyes travelled towards the figure that sat in a wheelchair at the balcony, slowly regaining her consciousness. Jinhee felt confused, her eyes had only left Junghwa for a second and now she was meters away from her.

"This was not what you promised" She felt betrayed but again she knew well, that this was a trap - the whole event was a trap.

"Oh, girl, there is a last-minute change of plan and uh, take a step closer to her and the only thing she'll meet is death" he glared at Jinhee as she tried approaching Junghwa but as planned his men started surrounding her. Yet Jinhee didn't attack, she wanted to wait.