Disappointment

WARNING LENGTHY AUTHORS NOTE!!!

Everyone, I am aware that I’ve been super slow lately. Truth is I have a life, one where I’d love to pursue a writing career. The thing is I need to get into a good collage which means high school is so important right now. I’m only a sophomore, but this year is important. My grades have not been dramatically dropping, but compared to my straight A’s last year, I’m not doing as well. This means that from this upload, probably to about one or two more of my uploads will be slow. This week I had to do a five page essay on A Tale of Two Cities. I also happened to have two quizzes and a health exam on the vagina and penis and STDS. Lovely stuff right? Not. You have no idea how many definitions I had to remember. On top of that, I have either a two hour practice of basketball, choir meetings, or  game which can stretch out from after school till like seven o’clock. I’m very busy, and really try my best to upload. I’m not going MIA, not like I did on my first book, I’m just trying to get back on my feet with school, because it’s important to me. I hope you all understand. Next two weeks is exam stuff so be ready!

Well, enjoy.

Also, this is unedited just because I wanted to get it up right away. As soon as it’s edited I’ll switch them!

There was a long silent pause before Julie pushed by me. I knew from the look on her face that what was about to happen couldn’t be good. And I was right.

“Gavin!” Julie shouted, racing over to the bed. “What are you doing?”

I stared wide eyed as Gavin fumbled with his words. “Would you believe me if I said trying to sleep?”

Julie’s eyes transformed into tiny little slits as she looked back at me. Her face turned red in anger, and I waited for the blow. Surprisingly in a low voice she said, “Gavin please go back to your cabin. I will talk to you about the rules of lights out.”

I watched as Gavin stood and neared the door. “Really Julie, it’s not what it looks-“

“Go,” she demanded sternly.

I gave him a sympathetic look, which he returned as he left. My heart raced against my chest and Julie turned to face me. There was only a look of disappointment on her face, no anger. “Julie, he was right. Nothing happened. We were really just trying to sleep.”

“Mia, I thought you were more mature than this. When your mother sent in your résumé and I saw how involved you were with school; saw how good your grades were I thought you were perfect for the job. Now I see otherwise.”

I bit my lip as Julie’s face displayed more and more disappointment. “Well then believe me when I say we were really just sleeping. Gavin’s a friend, nothing more.”

She nodded her head. “You may be telling me the truth, but do you still think it is appropriate if a camp counselor sleeps with someone attending the camp, who is of the opposite sex and younger.  You are almost eighteen Mia, if I’m not wrong you’re eighteen by tomorrow, so start acting like it. From now on, I don’t want to catch you and Gavin hanging around. Be careful.”

Without another word, Julie stepped past me and onto my cabins front steps. “Oh and don’t expect a birthday party tomorrow, you won’t be getting one.”

I winced as she marched towards Gavin’s cabin, determination in her eyes. Dear lord I have unleashed the monster inside Julie.

**

I stepped into the kitchen at exactly seven in the morning. The smell of already cooking food made my stomach growl, but I ignored the sound. The only thing on my mind was Julie. Never in my life had I ever disappointed an adult like I had disappointed her. And today I was eighteen, a fellow adult. I didn’t feel like one though.