The "L" Word

Hey everyone, long wait I know but I warned you! This story is coming to an end, and I just want to thank all the loyal readers who voted and commented throughout the story. You all mean so much to me! Really, I mean it. Also, shoutout to FlaggermusReader849. She just put up her first story, and if you like books without mistakes read hers it is edited and is off to a great start. The books called Salt so go check it out!

Oh, and I know this chapter jumps POV’S a lot again like last chapter, sorry, I just felt the need to add certain things. Sorry if some of you don’t like it. I usually don’t change POV’S but for some reason this book made me want to!!.

I dug my feet further into the warm sand as the dark blue lake water washed up and over my knees. Keeping my eyes focused on the other side of the lake, I did my best not to think about Landon. Except he was all I could think about. Everyone one of my thoughts focused around him and there was nothing I could do about it.

How did I let this happen to me? How could I let another boy ruin my summer? It was simple; don’t get too close and there won’t be anything to break. But hell, I got as close as you can and now everything was broken. God I felt like a little girl stuck in one of those romance novels.

Get over Yourself Mia, it’s just a guy.

Over and over I told myself the same thing, but every time it hurt just a little bit more. Every time I reminded myself of how stupid I had been. There’s no future with a boy like him, there’s nothing at all with Landon. He’s the type you have a good time with, and then move on; except I couldn’t move on. I was stuck in the same spot, like some old video jammed, playing the same scene over and over again.

“It’s called a crush because you always end up crushed. I could have told you that in the beginning but you wouldn’t have listened.”

The sand next to me shifted as Owen sat down a few inches away. I kept my eyes on the blue water as he spoke again. “I would say I told you so, but then-“

“What do you want Owen?” I interrupted him before he could make me feel any worse.

But then again, nothing could make me feel worse. There was no more going down from here, everything else was above me now and I had to dig my way back up like everyone else did when they were stuck in a hole.

Owen’s hand on my shoulder brought me back to reality and I finally looked up into his gorgeous green eyes. “You know this wouldn’t have happened if you would have stuck with me.”

Rolling my eyes, I turned back out to the lake. He was just as equally beautiful, but I found the water just a bit more peaceful. “It already did happen when I saw you kissing your girlfriend,” I admitted remembering the horrible feeling I got when I saw her wrapped in his arms.

“Ex-girlfriend,” Owen corrected me, “and anyway I already told you what the deal was with that. I never set out to hurt you, and Landon seems like he’s done a pretty good job at it.”

For some reason, anger boiled in my chest at the sound of Landon’s name in Owen’s mouth. I didn’t know why I felt like I should back him up after what he did to me, but he was going through a rough time. Shaking the thoughts from my head, I leaned back into the sand and gazed up at the clouds passing over.

“You know I’m at the age where I should be having crushes and getting my heart broken. It happens to everyone Owen. Don’t you get that?” I asked.

He laughed. “Mia you’re past that. You’re at the age where you’re maturing; you can be with someone like me now. It’s not just age.

Snorting, I rolled my eyes. “Owen what would I tell my mother and father when they asked where we met the first time? At summer camp, when I was seventeen? My dad would kill you, and anyway, I’m going to Europe after summer, then collage and then who knows where else.”