Don't Push Me Away

Hey everyone, this is the second last chapter! Whoa, I know, it’s been a crazy ride! I’m a little disappointed in the drop of the number of reads in recent chapters, I know the uploads were slower but wowzza, lots of people gave up on me! Thank to those who stuck through to the end, the ones who didn’t are gonna miss out on a lot! Anyway, enjoy this, and then the last upload will be up soon!

Love you all, don’t forget to vote!

I looked at Gavin with all seriousness before bursting into laughter. After about a minute straight, my eyes were leaking tears. And then my laughing tears turned into real ones, and before I knew it water was rushing down my cheeks.

Gavin pulled my close to him and I laid my head on his shoulder. “God I’m pathetic,” I said brushing away the moisture from my face.

The last thing I needed was for Julie or Owen to see me crying. I trusted Gavin like I trusted Nate, and I knew that he wouldn’t judge me.

“Hey, it’s okay. I felt like crying when I figured out you didn’t like me.”

I frowned at his words, because I knew they were supposed to help cheer me up but it did the exact opposite. Maybe I had made the wrong decision. Gavin was such a good friend. Every time we were together all we did was laugh. Why did I think Landon would be better than him? Landon was the exact opposite.

Stifling another crazy laugh, I pulled away and looked at Gavin. “Trust me when I say you don’t want to be with a screw up like me.”

He sounded like he was going to say something again, but I went on. “And what did you mean by the “L” word? You were joking right, because love and Landon don’t belong in the same sentence.”

At this, Gavin grinned. “Well, I know it sounds funny but I think I see it in the way he looks at you. He doesn’t treat you the same as he has other girls, you’re special.”

“I sure don’t feel special.”

“Well you should.”

Sighing, I leaned forward onto my hands. My eyes drifted over to the soccer field. It was the first place I ever saw Landon, and even though he stuck out tremendously, I would have never thought he would mean so much to me in the future.

How could people do it? Come into your life, and then mess everything up. Maybe it was all my fault that things ended badly with Landon, but it didn’t mean the rest of my summer had to be horrible. Hell, these next two weeks could be great if I could just forget about Landon.

But how could I? He was all I ever thought about…

Gavin nudged me to get my attention. “You think too much, and even though brains and beauty is a great match, overthinking can ruin it. Come on Mia, forget about him for now. If he doesn’t do something in the next two weeks—which I think is highly doubtful—then you’ll know it wasn’t meant to be. It’s one of those things you can look back on when you old and married. You know, like something you tell your daughter when she’s having boy troubles.”

I thought about Gavin said, and instantly knew he was true. He was right, I needed to move on and hope for the best. But before I did that, there was something I really needed to do. Smiling, I leaned over and hugged Gavin. He wrapped his arms around me and enveloped me in warmth. We sat there for a while, holding each other like best friends. It was funny how close we were for just meeting a couple of weeks ago. I felt like I could tell him anything.

“You’re the best, you know that right?” I said, finally pulling away.

Gavin rolled his. “I mean I try not to, but it just comes naturally.”