Just Friends

Longer upload, I know but second semester just started and I needed a good start!! Anyway, here’s the new chapter!!!!

Also this is unedited until my editor will have time. I just sent it to her but I wanted to get up the chapter right away!

A smile crept across my lips as I sat down in the chair Owen pulled out for me. “This is not a date. I don’t date fellow camp counselors. Sorry. I thought I told you that,” I added for the final touch.

The cook merely rolled his eyes and sat down across from me. “But you do like to kiss fellow counselors. A little birdy told me.”

Biting my bottom lip to avoid saying something mean, or shouting I ignored his comment and looked down at the food in front of me. Taking in a deep breath of the pasta, I grabbed my fork and attacked the noodles. Hey maybe if I eat like an animal he won’t be so interested anymore…

Smiling at my new brilliant idea, I shoveled a huge glob of goodness into my mouth and smacked on it loudly. “So how was your day?” I asked food slipping from my mouth.

Owen seemed to either not notice or ignore the fact that I was totally disgusting. He took a bite of his own food and replied after swallowing. “It was alright, I’m glad that I don’t have to cook lunch for all the boys. Or should I say we.”

“Not that I don’t want to spend time with you,” he quickly added before I could say anything.

From the cocky grin on his face I knew he was up to something. Licking my lips; and not in the sexy way, I took a huge gulp of my sour wine. The alcohol slipped down by throat leaving a burning feeling behind. “Well why is that? Oh wait, I know why. Because you think that you can get whatever you want and when you don’t you just keep on trying.”

Owen’s grip on the win glass tightened and he sighed. “Mia this is just a friendly dinner okay. Look, we’re friends alright?”

When the words left his mouth I immediately searched for any sign of sarcasm. When I didn’t see any, my whole mouth fell open and I stared at him with wide eyes. There was no way he was serious. He had been trying so hard to get me, and all of the sudden he calls it quits? Not that I minded, it just felt wrong and weird.

I relaxed in my seat, well more like slouched. Still keeping up the whole “gross him out” act, I picked at my teeth and sighed.

“Well good, friends sound alright,” I finally said releasing a breath.

He winked. “Oh and the whole gross me out thing isn’t working. You’re still sexy either way.”

“That’s not how we talk to friends now Owen…”

Laughing, he set down his wine glass. “Fine attractive. Is that better?”

**

That night, after all of the guy’s had gotten back from their little field trip, I tucked myself into bed and turned out the lights. I finally started to drift off when a knock on my window sent me jumping out of bed. Sighing, I stood up and pulled myself over to the window. Rubbing my eyes open, I unlatched the lock and pushed out the window.

What I didn’t expect was to see Gavin grinning up at me like a dork. He looked like he was going for a run in a light blue cut out and black basketball shorts. Uh, what the heck was Gavin doing at my window with a smile on his face? The only emotion he showed me lately was anger, when really I should be the one mad at him.