Stay?

Hey everyone, I know lately it has been every week uploads, I’m trying my best so don’t give up. Spring break is coming up and sadly I won’t be able to upload over that time because I’m going to New York with my choir and we’re singing in Carnegie Hall! I’m so excited but anyway here’s the new chapter.

I thought about my words carefully as Landon’s watchful eye stayed glued to mine. Sighing, I folded my hands over my lap and begun. “Even if this doesn’t matter, the night of the party I only kissed that guy on a dare. It meant nothing to me, not that it matters I just-“

“You’re right, it doesn’t matter,” Landon cut in glancing in the other direction. His jaw looked tight and his hands gipped the edge of the pool so hard his knuckles were turning white.

Biting my lip, I looked down at the blue water and caught a glimpse of my reflection before a ripple in the liquid washed it away. My hair was a mess and my eyes looked almost crazed. Was I crazy to think that Landon liked me?

Finally, unable to bear the humility, I pulled myself away from the water’s edge and stood up. “I should go, so sorry to bother you,” I said as I backed away towards the door we came through to get to the back yard.

Landon jumped from his spot at the side of the pool and sighed. “No, I didn’t mean it like that; I just have a lot to deal with right now. Look, why don’t you stay for dinner, it’s just me and my brother tonight.”

I blinked away a stray tear and did my best not to let all of them fall. I couldn’t let Landon see me cry over him. “Maybe I should just go-“

 Landon cut me off again. “Come on you have to be hungry, anyway Margaret makes the best chicken casserole in the whole entire world.”

Sighing, I nodded my head but didn’t answer. Why did he even want me here, he already made it clear enough that he didn’t actually like me. Putting on a fake smile, I followed him into his gorgeous air conditioned house. The cool air on my skin made me feel a little better, but my stomach was still uneasy from the earlier embarrassment.

God how could I even think he would like me? It was obvious that the first weeks of camp he couldn’t even stand me. Was I really that delusional to think someone like Landon would actually fall for me? After all this time I just got my hopes up for nothing. Landon didn’t like me. He never did.

“You like video games?” Landon asked as he lead me towards the front staircase.

Nodding my head like a robot but not answering, I followed him up the grand stair case in silence. After passing about ten different doors, Landon led me into his room. The walls were black, but there was plenty of window light and lamps to make the place seem brighter. His queen bed sat facing a huge black screen TV that hung from the wall. Under the TV was a game counsel and stacks of different games and movies. Picking up a Ps3 controller, I followed Landon over to the bed.

Awkwardly, I stood next to him as he sprawled out over the black blankets. “Sit down or something, you don’t have to stand.”

Observing my options, I stubbornly took a seat on the floor that was followed by Landon’s laughter. “I meant like sit on the bed.”

I frowned. “I’m fine, the floor is more comfortable anyway.”

With a sigh, Landon stopped what he was doing and peered over the side of the bed. As usual, he looked gorgeous with those big green smoldering eyes. “What’s wrong?” he asked.

Biting my lip, I stood and sat on the very edge of the bed to keep my distance from him. “Nothing let’s just play.”

I thought that maybe Landon would ask again, but he simply un-paused the game and we sat in silence until teams were picked. Black Opps was like my favorite game ever, and I watched as my favorite map came up onto the screen.