23.

It was a clear, hot day. Perfect for an ice cream date. That's what Hyunwoo had said when he asked her out. And by Hyunwoo that meant Heejae's mother, Kang Hei Ryung. She was still adamant on tying the knot between the Parks and Hans.

Heejae was honestly tired. Even when she had been working five to six jobs at once, she had never felt this tired. It was as if she was mentally tired too. Things after that fateful night with Yoongi a month ago seemed a little dull.

Even when she had broken all ties with him there was an excitement whenever she saw him. She was able to see a spark of want in his eyes, a sense of rightful anger sparking up inside her as well. But it didn't exist anymore. There interactions consisted of polite smiles and work related stuff. They were practically strangers and thinking about it so much exhausted her.

She did miss him. Especially talking and laughing with him.

Heejae sighed, pasting a smile on her face as she saw Hyunwoo returning with their ice cream cones. She thanked him, taking her chocolate ice cream and gratefully licked it, cooling her body.

"How's work?" Hyunwoo asked, looking infront, watching the evening crowd taking a troll through the park. The kids played happily, their glee filled giggles and smiles somehow brightening the environment.

"Same ole, same ole. There's nothing much difference except working with different people. It's exhausting though."

"I can imagine and pair it with the pressure from our family and it's just..."

"I know. I really don't understand why they are doing this. It's not like I'm doing anything noteworthy. I'm just handling the advertisement sector right now."

Hyunwoo suddenly put his hand on her, squeezing it and making the woman look at him with wide eyes. "You underestimate your worth, Heejae. You are an amazing, headstrong, hardworking woman, someone whom I have admired since high school and I know many people admire you for who you are. And you know the power dynamic for families like ours. They are vicious when they want to curb someone to dirt and only us, kids who have grown up with such a lifestyle can handle it mentally. Common people like them," he said, waving his hand forward, pointing to the people in the park, "they will be eaten alive because they wouldn't be able to fit in and even if they do, they will lose their personality. Marrying a Chaebol isn't an easy thing to do. We are labelled extraordinary for a reason."

Heejae sat back with a huff, her mind comprehending his words. The ice cream was long forgotten as she thought about it. He wasn't really wrong. People needed to be strong minded to face the vicious tendencies of business people, families. Their only goal was to keep winning everytime and making deals that were benefitting for no one but them. But she wasn't that strong minded, she was weak and hence chosen to escape. She wouldn't tell him that though, she didn't trust him.

"Hyunwoo, why don't you tell your parents you are not interested in me?" she asked after a while, going back to licking her melting ice cream.

"I never said I'm not interested in you though," he replied, making her eyes go wide in shock. Had she really misjudged the whole situation?

"What?"

"I am interested in you," he said, looking straight into her eyes. He was dead serious and she had never known.

"Like I said, I admire you," he continued, unknown to the wheels turning in her head. "I also had a crush on you in school, that's why I couldn't see you suffering and helped you. But of course, we have changed since then but I like who you have grown up to be. I also know you don't think about me like that and I can assure you, I won't ever force you to return my feelings," he said, surprising her further.

Heejae opened her mouth to say something with no idea what to actually say but Hyunwoo beat her to it. "I don't want to burden you by letting you know about my feelings but I can't see you blatantly assuming or ignoring my feelings either. This is truth and just know," he said, his eyes soft as he cupped her face in his hand, "If you ever need me for absolutely anything, I'll be here. I can help you forget too." To leave no doubt to the meaning of his words, he gently pressed his lips right below her ear.

Heejae shuddered at the feeling of his moist lips against her sensetive skin. It had been a month since she had let someone touch her this way, let alone thought about it truly. Paired with the swoon worthy words he said, she almost accepted him. Almost.

She could have easily moved on, knowing Hyunwoo would keep her safe and happy, give her the strong relationship she wanted now. He was a good person as far as she knew but he wasn't the one she really wanted.

"I need time," she declared, pulling away from his touch, watching guiltily as his eyes turned sad. She couldn't possibly lead him on though. "You know there was a man in my life, we were quite close too. I developed really strong feelings for him and I...I still haven't gotten over him. I don't know if I can."

Smiling a little, he caught her hand, bringing it to his lips to place a kiss on her knuckles. "I can understand, Heejae. Feelings are crazy and we are at the point in our life where we want stability and seek strong relationships. But I don't want you to immediately jump in with me. I am just letting you know that I'm here for you. No pressure."

Heejae smiled, her chest feeling tight as she looked away and towards the children playing happily. "Thank you, Hyunwoo."

The rest of the evening, they didn't bring out the topic of relationships again. Though once in a while they would look at the playing children and talk about how they wanted children of their own. The craving for a happy family was something they shared in mutual.

Heejae felt her stomach drop though, when she saw a pregnant woman taking a stroll through the park with her husband. The couple looked really happy as they walked hand in hand, leaning against each other as they talked in hush voices.

She didn't really know what exactly triggered her, but she suddenly realised she had missed her periods.

~~~~
A/N:

The story has finally picked up and I'm gonna have fun writing this. This is going to be one hell of a ride.

Do let me know what you think of this chapter, especially Hyunwoo. He's becoming my favourite character to write with every chapter.

I hope you liked this chapter.

Thank you for reading ❤️❤️