43.

Glass pieces flew in every direction, the sound of the cup shattering reverberating through the room. An enraged voice cursed loudly, sending the contents on the table flying. 

"Will you stop behaving like a raging teenager? It doesn't suit you," another person, sitting across the table said, still sipping from their cup calmly. 

A scoff left their lips, their eyes falling on the picture in their hand, feeling their body tensing again. "What do you even know about how I feel? Of course, you wouldn't know, you weren't wronged in that way." The picture went flying, only to land in front of the sitting person. 

He picked it up, a smile stretching his glossy lips. "Well, what a happy couple! Too bad they are famous. Are you really that jealous to see them kissing each other?" he asked, enjoying the way his partner's face turned red. 

They slammed their hands on the table, leaning forward to sneer in his face. "Stop edging me unless you have a death wish. If it weren't for your resources, I would be doing this alone. So, shut your mouth and co-operate." 

The smile on his face fell. Rolling his eyes, he stared back coldly. "You seriously don't know how to talk to people older than you, do you? Anyways, I only want to ruin Park Heejae, the rest is up to you. But you really need to stop being so reckless all the time. At this rate, they'll find out we are behind all of this." 

The person shook their head, a smirk making way to their lips as they straightened their clothes. "They will never find out who we are. You just focus on your goal and when you're done, I'll be right there to pick the pieces up. Yoongi and Heejae won't even know what hit them till it's too late."

Shrugging, the man got up, snatched the money he was offered and left the room, leaving the person inside to seeth in anger and jealousy. 

***

"Are you sure this is where the cameraman went to?" Hei Ryung asked with her eyes wide as she looked at the pictures taken by the private investigator. The man nodded and pulled out another envelope. 

"I ran a background check on him and it looks like he works as a freelancer. He took the photos to two different places," the investigator said, looking at the woman meaningfully. 

"So, he sells to the highest bidder or just everyone." The man nodded and glanced at the young couple sitting to his side, their eyes just as wide as the woman who had hired him. 

"Do you know this place? Someone who frequents it?" he asked them, hoping they would know something. But then the bar in the picture was pretty run down and on the darker side of the city. He doubted they had ever ventured on those streets. 

"I do," Heejae replied, surprising the man as she pulled the photo closer. "I never went there but I passed the street often to know the place. I and Anika had rented an apartment in the area. Not the best to roam in during the night." 

The investigator's brows knitted together, the wheels in his head-turning. "Can you give me the address of the apartment?" She nodded readily as she wrote the address and handed the paper to him. 

"But I think they closed down the area for reconstruction. So, I'm not sure if you will find anything there."

"The locals are opposing the reconstruction and the gang who controls that area won't let the company overlooking it enter either. Checking it once won't harm anyone." The investigator shrugged, giving all the files to the older woman as she had demanded and took his leave.

Hei Ryung sighed as she studied the files, sending all the information to her assistant who knew exactly what to do with it. When she was done, she lifted her eyes to look at her daughter, wanting to reassure her that she would find the person behind all her grief. 

But when she looked up, she saw the boy kissing her daughter’s hands, his eyes looking at her lovingly, silently telling her it was going to be okay. For a moment she was reminded of her husband, how he too had once looked at her like that before they both decided to ruin their relationship.  

Shaking off the bittersweet memories, she cleared her throat, catching the couple’s attention. “I think we are close to finding who this person is. I have a feeling that after meeting this cameraman, we will get our answers.” Yoongi nodded at her words, smiling a little.

“Thank you for helping us, Ms. Kang,” he started, his eyes sparkling with sincerity as he glanced at his smiling girlfriend. “I know, I promised Heejae to take care of her but I have done a terrible job of it. I can’t thank you enough.”

Hei Ryung only raised her head high as she replied, “You don’t have to thank me, Mr. Min. I'm doing this for my daughter and grandchild.” She glanced at the relieved, smiling man and added as an afterthought, “I don't blame you for being so tardy. You must've been too shaken to think clearly.”

Surprised at her unexpected display of empathy, Yoongi couldn't help but chuckle just as Heejae felt her shoulders relaxing seeing her mother trying to hide her face behind a teacup.

“Thank you,” Heejae let out softly, making her mother clear her throat once again as she put the cup down and changed the subject. 

“I have an idea to stop people, your fans,” Hei Ryung said, narrowing her eyes at the young rapper, “from hating and sending threats to my daughter.” 

Yoongi’s eyebrows went up, interested to hear her suggestions while Heejae groaned in exasperation. “Mother, I told you I'm not singing at the gala.” His eyes widened hearing her say that, telling him simultaneously that this wasn't the first time the women had talked about it. 

“Why not?” he asked before the mother could try convincing her again. Heejae sighed as she explained, “I am not a good singer, not enough to be a guest singer and add to the fact that I haven't sung in almost ten years.”

“But I’m not asking you to sing this time!” Hei Ryung exclaimed, aggravated that she wouldn't listen. Her outburst however rendered the couple silent as she pulled out a file and set it in front of her daughter. 

“This,” she said, tapping the portfolio before her with a proud smile, “is the star of our academy. She's just twenty but she has won more titles than I did when I was her age. I was thinking about you giving a solo performance first, play any instrument you wish and then play the piano for her. It would not only be good for your image but I will get to see you on stage once again and hear you play. It's been too long, don't you think?”

Heejae fell back on the sofa, her eyes wide and her jaw slack as she stared at her mother. In all her life, she had never imagined her mother giving her a choice; it was either following her orders or running away. She had taken the second option when following her had started to kill her slowly and this sudden change surprised her. But then, she had been behaving differently ever since the day she uttered those hurtful words. 

You can consider me dead from now on.

She flinched inwardly as she recalled her words but she masked the guilt by taking a breath and saying, “I’ll think about it.” She got up with that, Yoongi who had been silently observing her who smiled softly and addressed her mother again. “I guess, till the next meeting then?” 

The older woman got up, nodding as she walked them to the front door, seeing them off. When they were finally alone as Yoongi drove them home, he caught Heejae’s hand, giving it a firm squeeze before saying, “I won’t tell you to perform if you don't want to but I think it will help in more ways than you think.” 

Like bringing you and your mother closer, he didn't say those words but they were loud enough for her to hear and she could see it happening. They were already closer than they ever were and she was nothing but happy to see her mother trying. It was her turn to take a step and give her a chance for real. 

A/N:

I'm so sorry for the late update. This month has been terrible for me but I won't get into that. I'll just apologize and hope you understand.

Anyways, what do you think about this chapter? Any guesses at who it might be?
I'm excited to know what you think.

Thank you for reading 💞💞