Thirty-seven

The court procedures are going on smoothly. There's not much work to do anyways. He has neighbouring states under his grasp. Slytherins have always been the people to fear from. Moreover his cold and ruthless demeanor is something, he's prominent for. Another kings always maintain peace and didn't dare to go against him even once before. There were few matters from the commoners, about the new peculiar disease spreading like a fire within the whole Shan.

Together with Zhan, Taehyung left for the village clad in the black hanfu Zhan insisted him to wear, probably to twin with his own attire.

"What have you given me?" Taehyung scrunches his nose in disgust, complaining. He seems bit uncomfortable by the long spreading skirt of hanfu and not to mention the overcoat hanging from the sides which he has to tug closer since it keeps on swaying away with the blowing air. Amused by his expressions, Zhan laughs a mocking chuckle and replies, "It suits you well and we both look exactly like companions." Rather than his usual attire, Hanfu compliments his features much better. With small conversation every now and then, both males continue on their way ahead drawing attention from the people nearby.

"Why there's much folk?" Zhan questions up, his eyes settled on the crowd gathered outside a cottage, few metres away. The duo halts their steps and exchanges glances as Taehyung suggests, "let's figure out." With that being said, they pace up in the direction of the cottage and pushing the people aside after few minutes of struggle, succeed in coming face to face with the man lying on the cot, eyes dark blue, he whimpers aloud in anguish. Knelt beside the cot, a lady cries like there's no tomorrow. There isn't much time before her husband will be standing before gates of afterlife and she knows it. Many people has died in the same mysterious way. Heavy fever, puking blood, loss of vision and dark blue eyes are some of the symptoms of this deadly disease that eventually ushers a person to his demise.

"Let me check, I'm vedic." Zhan informs and seating himself beside the morbid male, checks his body temperature, heart rate that decreases slowly and performs some other diagnosis. Placing his hand on the closed eyes of middle-aged man, he shuts down his own and chants spells under his breathe.

"It's venom. A snake's venom." He opens his eyes with realisation and quickly rises up from the cot in a jolt. Forthwith, he asks, "Where's the well you fetch water from?"

"This way."

As two of males from village lead their way to the pristine well, that has been their source of water since it's been centuries, Zhan wastes no time to analyse the water, darker than it must be. Turning around, he quickly proclaims, "The water is poisonous." With the help of other two males, the well is covered from the top and after arriving at the palace, Taehyung releases an official statement of regarding the lethal well and orders for the immediate construction of couple of wells nearby.

After placing the flowers in the vase, he turns towards you. He bought them on his way back. His eyes fell on the flower shop and came rushing flashbacks of the time he ran out of money and couldn't get any for you. Just like that, his feet walked towards the shop on their own and he ended up purchasing a mixed bouquet of peony, rose and orchids.

Perched on his usual place beside you, he reaches out for your hand and gently grabs it in his. Your hands colder than his.

"YN-ah walk up already. It's been so long." His voice softens at the end. Eight months is a long time especially when every second passes akin to an year. Only he knows, how hard it's for him to let another day pass clutching on the same string of hope.

"Look I'm wearing hanfu. I didn't change because I wanted to show it to you. Tell me does it look better on me?" He excitedly asks but as always is answered by the bothersome silence.

Inhaling a deep sigh, he softly adds, "Zhan said you can even hear me now. So stop pretending and get up already. I miss you." He presses his lips against your knuckles and with that a single tear falls from his left eye.

"Wake up soon queen." He rises up and leans in to press his lips against your forehead. If it'd be another day, he'd just accompany you under the covers but before this day ends, he has to accomplish one more of his task. As he files out of your room and makes his way towards the court room, he spots Jungkook already waiting for him.

As the younger greets the king with a bow, the latter sternly asks, "Do you even love Hanyo?"

Bewildered, Jungkook replies, "Yes wang I love her more than my life. She means the world to me." His words are sincere. Taehyung is glad that Hanyo has someone like him in her life. He turns his back towards the younger not letting him visualise the small smile on his lips.

"Then do you love your child growing in her womb?" Follows his another question. At this, Jungkook doesn't bury his curiosity and asks out, "Why are you asking such questions wang? Of course I do love my child."

"When are you marrying her?" He turns around and faces the latter.

"M-marriage?" Jungkook stands dumbfounded, staring at the ground. He has started a family with her but marriage heck, he has never once thought about that. He mentally curses himself. Why the thought of marriage has never stroke past his nerve?

"What? You say you love her yet you don't want to marry her." Taehyung arches one of his brow.

"No, it's not that peha." He is quick to deny the accusation imposed on him. His love for her couldn't be doubted. It wasn't like he didn't want to marry her he probably just didn't have the courage to ask out Hanyo and hence he buried the idea of marriage. Moreover she also didn't strike any conversation about their marriage. Most of time their conversation are about their unborn child. Names, toys, clothes and this that.

Jungkook doesn't own a mere idea of the king standing so close to him unless he informs, "The marriage is scheduled couple of days later. Ask her out." With these words and a pat on his shoulder, Taehyung walks out of the chamber leaving a tense, worried, nervous and anxious Jungkook behind.

Pressing his right hand against his heart, he draws deep inhales and huffs out before straightening and entering the cell. Once inside, he's greeted by drowsy Hanyo. With heavy eyelids, she has been waiting for him.

"Gguk, what took you so long?" She whines out, indolently and clears up some space for him. Inhaling one more deep breathe, he steps closer to her and rests his weight beside her. Her head instantly falls on his shoulder as his left hand wraps around her shoulder. He reaches out his spare hand caress her tummy and chuckles, "Did she give you a hard time?" Their child is super active, even in womb. Worn the daylights out, Hanyo replies with a mere hum. A smile spreads over her pale face when Jungkook leans down to peck her stomach and whispers, "Don't bother your mumma too much okay?" He gently places his ear against her bump and pretends to hear as if the baby is really answering him.

Straightening back and flashing his sweetest grin, he announces, "I've talked with her. She won't pester you now." Hanyo breaks into giggles. He holds her face in his palms and presses a kiss to her lips. Slow, gentle and soft. He guides his hands to cup her jawline and parting, breathes out, "Hanyo..."

"hmm.."

"Will you marry me?"

And the answer he received wasn't something he had expected beforehand.

"I thought you'd never ask guk."

_____

📍1348 words.
📍July 17, 21
📍I'm lazy at updates. Please bear with me.
📍Please leave lots of comments for me.
📍Tell me what do you think about story so far?