𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 23

I felt Rebekah tense at the mention of her being turned so I intertwined our fingers to give her comfort, she smiled softly at me and continued her story.

"She called upon the sun for life, and the ancient white oak tree; one of nature's eternal objects for immortality. That night my father offered us wine laced with blood, and then he drove his sword through our hearts" she said grimly.

"He killed you?" Elena gasped.

"And he wasn't delicate about it either. After we had woken up our father dragged in a village girl and we had to drink more blood to complete the ritual" she explained.

"It was euphoric the feeling of power was indescribable. But the witch Ayana was right about the consequences, the spirits turned on us and nature fought back. For every strength there would be a weakness. The sun became our enemy, it kept us indoors for weeks. And though my mother found a solution, there were other problems; neighbours who had opened their homes to us could now keep us out. Flowers at the base of the white oak burned and prevented compulsion. And the spell decreed that the tree that gave us life could also take it away, so we burned it to the ground." She explained gripping my hand tighter as a few tears gathered in her eyes.

She wouldn't let them fall, not whilst Elena was here.

"But the darkest consequence was something my parents never anticipated, the hunger, blood that made us reborn and it was blood that we craved above all else. We could not control it." Bekah explained.

"And with that the predatory species was born" she finished.

I wrapped an arm around her seeing her face turn into one of guilt and sadness. She smiled gratefully at me as Elena processed what she had learned.

"Why did mikael start hunting klaus?" Elena suddenly asked.

"When Nik made his first human kill it triggered his werewolf gene, with that he became my fathers greatest shame" Bekah replied.

"Yeah Elijah told me this part of the story, your mother had an affair with one of the werewolf villagers. Klaus wasn't his son"

"She tried to make it right, she put the hybrid curse on Nik to suppress his werewolf side and she turned her back on him. But Mikael's greatest weakness as a human was his pride, as a vampire that was magnified" Bekah said getting our from the couch and pouring herself another glass of champagne.

She saw my glass was empty again so she brought the wine over and poured some more into my glass.

"He went on a rampage and killed half the village, then he came home and killed her" Bekah said putting the wine bottle back onto the table and walking back over to me.

"Mikael killed your mother?" Elena gasped horrified. Don't blame her even I think that's a little psychotic.

"He said she broke his heart so he would break hers. He tore it from he chest as Nik watched" Bekah sat back down next to me and grasped my hand.

"Afterwards my father took off in a rage, and the rest of my family scattered. Nik stayed so he could help me bury her, he knew I had to say goodbye to my mother." Rebekah explained letting a tear drop onto her cheek, she quickly wiped it away before Elena could see and she shuffled closer to me.

I put an arm around her so she was cuddled into my side.

"We made a promise. Elijah, Niklaus and I, we promised to stick together. Always and forever" she said glancing at me and smiling letting me know I was now apart of their promise making me smile.

"Always and forever. Even though he locked you in a coffin for 90 years?" Elena questioned incredulously.

"We're vampires our emotions are heightened. I'm stubborn, Elijah motel and Nik has no tolerance for those who disappoint him. Over a thousand years as a family we've all made that mistake at least once, I've made it several times" Rebekah told her.