Chapter 38

With a cup of brewed coffee at hand, I walked towards the lift and waited for it to open along with the other employees in different floors.

It's the usual Monday known as the busy and stressful day. I tilted my neck to the side just by the thought of the list of customers that I have to entertain today. I mentally prepped myself for a string of curses, rising of intonations and ear-deafening shouts of my customers. Welcome to the call center life!

I could still remember my first day here and it was disastrous. A simple culture shock is an understatement. It was beyond that. Well, maybe disastrous was too much but it was one hell of a day for me.

I squinted my eyes as the memory flashes like a film. I sipped the last drop of coffee before throwing it on the trash bin near the elevator and went back to wait just in time for it to open like welcoming of a new yet out-of-routine day.

I let out an exasperated sigh before stepping foot inside.

Its been two weeks after that team building yet I could hardly get it off my mind. Despite how hectic and tiring my work is, I'd like to drown myself with it in hopes of temporarily brushing the memoir for awhile.

Reese drove me home like what he insisted. The tension and awkwardness was still vividly imprinted on the corner of my mind. Like what I said we never really talked about it. I must admit confusion has lorded my thoughts. Hindi ko alam kung dapat ko bang bigyan nang kahulugan ang mga inasta niya o hindi. Why is he suddenly this way?

I spent plenty of nights staring at my ceiling thinking about he's behaviour towards me. I don't want to be assuming but I can't think of anything else aside from the possibility that he might be into me again which of course sounds way impossible like when pigs fly, or he might be plotting a revenge for what I did to him years ago. Kung ako ang pasasabihin hindi ko kayang mag-isip na humiganti. Siguro makakaramdam ako ng pagkamuhi pero ang maghiganti? Hindi ko 'yun kayang gawin. Is he willing to waste his time avenging his bruised ego and scarred heart? I bet not but like what I just said, he changed. There's something in him that I can't fathom. This might be a facade he's trying to pull and make me fall in his trap.

In my peripheral view, I saw my phone lit up for a message. I glanced at it for awhile and saw Cassandra's name pop up.

Cassi:

You free this lunch? My treat!

I swiftly typed a 'yes' and was about to turn it off when another message from someone least expected came.

Reese:

Do you have plans after your work?

I swallowed, not knowing what to reply and so I shut it off and decided to respond to it later.

I tried to focus on my work and thankfully I did. Nilunod ko ang sarili sa trabaho kaya hindi ko namalayang lunch break na pala. Cassandra left a message that says she's waiting for me in a nearby restaurant. I grabbed my shoulder bag and phone before heading there.

Nakita ko kaagad si Cassi na prenteng nakaupo at kumaway ng mahagilap ako. She immediately went to me for a hug and a cheek to cheek kiss. 

  "Omg, hi girl! MIA ka last time ah? Nagmeet up sana kami ni Sabrina sa Ayala kaso wala ka," Bungad niCass sabay hawi sa kanyang buhok.

Hinubad ko ang aking shoulder bag bago naupo.

  "May team building kasi kami no'n. Bawi nalang ako sa susunod."

  "Siguraduhin mo lang nako. Huli ka na sa mga chismis at kaganapan."

Sinimangutan ako ni Cassi kaya inirapan ko siya. Marami pa namang panahon para do'n. Busy ako at sigurado akong sila din kaya nga ang dalang naming magkita.