twelve

Despite the whole week of arguments that my mom and I had, right now I'm in my parents house arranging plates and food on the tables.

I was arguing how can she trust someone that fast? I know his parents are amazing but how about him?

I have to spend the rest of my life with him.

But only if she knew what I did. Sometimes I feel like I let him touch me because I felt safe around him. Which is an odd thing for me.

"I believe that he's the best husband for you. You will be happy." I stopped questioning after that.

I was wearing a dull mint green salwar kameez that stopped right under my knees, quarter sleeved and a matching wide legged pants with silver beading.

A matching dupatta pinned over my chest because the neckline was quite deep and paired it with some minimal silver jewelleries.

Anu was with me today. She almost fainted when she heard the news because it was so sudden and too many information to digest on.

I heard the door bell rang and quickly ran upstairs because I need to be upstairs. Mom's order.

Anu came right behind me and we sat at the top stairs, hidden but close enough to eavesdrop on whatever they're saying.

"Welcome welcome come on in!"

"Oh it's been so long since we visited! I'm so happy we've agreed to this alliance." They all laughed together.

My heart dropped and I started to bounce my feet because I can feel that today, my life is going to change.

Anu held my hand tightly.

"Before you go down, think about all the conversations we had about marriage, commitments and love. I know you're too insecure and hesitant but let me tell you one thing, all guys aren't the same. Maybe he is the one."

I told her everything. All the things happened with Kabeer. She just squealed like any other girl and told me she had a hunch Kabeer might be it.

"How can you be so sure?"

"I know you better than anyone."

"But I'm not sure about my feelings." I fidgeted and bite my lips. I couldn't handle the pressure.

"Are you sure you're not aware about your feelings?" She asked me with a questioning look. Before I could answer, my mom called us.

"Radhi, come down. They're waiting for you." I looked at Anu pleadingly because I do not like to be in the centre of attention and standing in-front of these people is giving me the chills.

"You can do it! Goodluck." She whispered and smoothed down my top.

I walked down while she just showed me thumbs up and sat at the stairs.

I walked down with my heads down and slowly looked up at the faces that were looking at me.

Aunt Ardas and Uncle Abhishek was looking at me lovingly and my mom was just beaming at me.

Then, I caught a familiar pair of eyes looking at me with a lopsided grin.

He was wearing beige pants and a white shirt that clung to his torso not too tightly but still looked dashing as ever. With his hair being partly messy.

I'm a sucker for guys in white shirt.

I greeted both of his parents and Aunt Ardas just gave me a big tight hug.

"Awh beta, you look beautiful. The perfect daughter for our home. We always loved you since you were little." She said with her eyes teary and I loved the fact that Aunt Ardas and I clicked at Sakshi's wedding.

We were basically half best friends and Uncle Abhishek was beyond funny and welcoming. I couldn't ask for a better family-in-law.

I sat beside my mom and listened to their banters.

"Okay let's get down to the real matter. We are here today, to ask for your daughter, Radhi Madhanathan for our son Kabeer Sharma. I know you might think our cultures would collide or anything but I promise you, we will take of your daughter like our own. My son will take care of your daughter. What do you say?" Uncle Abhishek stated happily and waited my dad to answer.

I looked at Kabeer and he just sat straight up on alert.

"We've known over 20 years, I have no doubt you will take care of our daughter. Our Radhi is the light of our house." My dad said and my mom held my hand tightly.

My eyes were teary because I know she will have a hard time letting me go.

"I'm handing you my light to you. Please take care of her. And yes, if you are okay with it, we can have the engagement next week." I jerked at the decision.

I know I won't say no to my parents but I need to talk to Kabeer.

Is he okay with it? Is he being forced?

I did doubted my mom but something about Kabeer made me agree.

"Oh thank you god! Yes we can have the engagement next week. No objections." everyone was happily arranging the stuffs for the sudden engagement.

"Can I talk to uh-?" I hesitated with a forced smile. I just realised I never said Kabeer's name out loud.

"Kabeer?" My mom asked. Both of the parents laughed at my awkwardness. I saw Kabeer cracking a smile.

"Yes betta, of course! Both of you go while we arrange for the engagement." I quickly got up and got out of the back door while Kabeer just followed me.

We had a huge backyard and there was a bench under the big tree we had.

It was quite far from everyone and I always came here whenever I felt uneasy.

"So, are you okay with this? You're okay with the girl your parents chose for you?" I asked him while leaning on the tree.

"I don't want you to be forced in this. I know I'm fat and complicated-" I started to ramble.

"I like you." He said with a low voice. He came closer because I felt his warmth behind me.

He put his head on my shoulder while I just stayed still by the sudden warmth. I felt really really safe but at the same time hesitant.

Oh my virgin self.

"But you don't know me. I don't know you. How could you like me?" I was in verge of tears because everything is moving fast and I still haven't figured out my shit.

"We can learn about each other for our whole lives. We have so much time ahead." He said while playing with my fingers. I can hear my heartbeat thumping loudly.

"I'm as nervous as you are but trust me, I'm never leaving you. We're in this forever." I was sobbing like stupid by then.

Not knowing whether it was the word be said or how he said it. He spoke like he was really sure about it.

Damn you water dams

He squatted down infront of me while I sat on the bench and hung my head low.

Tears were flowing freely and right now, I couldn't understand whether I'm happy someone likes me or unhappy with the situation.

"Look at me, Radhi. Don't cry." He looked at me with a worried look.

"Are you okay with this? If you're not okay we can tell our parents." He stood up.

"No no. I'm okay. I just needed assurance. I'm okay." I said a little too quickly and my face turned red. He just let out a chuckle.

"Now let's go inside before everyone thinks we ran away." He said and I just rolled my eyes playfully while wiping my tears away with my dupatta.

After calming myself, we walked backed inside and everyone turned around to look at us.

"So are you guys okay with engagement?" Uncle Abhishek asked with a hopeful smile.

Kabeer said yes while looking at me and everyone got up and hugged each other.

"Welcome to the family, Radhi!" Aunt Ardas came and hugged me tightly.