Rewind

As she lied in Guren's arms, she wanted to fall asleep despite being a vampire. Just with him, forever in his arms where they could be together, could she be selfish enough to do that?

She could knock him out right now and they could run, take the katana for when Yuu woke up and they could get away.

Just once run away from everyone.

No, she had everyone else who depended on her. Carefully, she grabbed his arms and held his hands, getting up and hoisting him up.

"I'll hold you while you recover." She reassured.

"I'm fine, Mahiru's making sure I'm stable." He said, still taking the help regardless.

Worry shook her to the bone, family. Where was it? Shinya, Mito, Shigure, Sayuri, Goshi? She remembered how it had been a while since her last encounter with them. Dread filled her heart as her grip on Guren tightened drastically. She couldn't run off on her own, not when they were such a small group going against everyone at once.

Granted, they had the support from the Shinoa squad who all wielded Black Demon Series gear but considering three of which are traitors, it confuses things. Krul was here, probably knowing full well about the situation but the real question was whether or not she was willing to comply. She most likely knows that even as the third progenitor she had no true power over the First.

Speaking of the First, Shinoa still sat on the floor, eyes closed as she kept the First at bay. Something was off though, her eyelids were twitching, her posture had stiffened, she could feel Shinoa's heartbeat steadying itself.

"Fuck, Guren."

"What is it?"

"He's waking up. We can't let him do that," She said, looking over at him hesitantly, "Give me the drug."

"You're body won't be able to handle that!"

"It's better than Mahiru taking another dose! Just give it to me!" She argued.

God, she was about to throw her pride out the door as she looked over at Mahiru. For Guren's sake, she would have to bring herself to forgive and forget. This all started and will end with her. All Mahiru had wanted was to live a life that ended happily ever after, without the Hiragi family, without being a pawn, and deep down she understood. She knew Mahiru would look after Guren even if it cost her life, as would she.

"Please." She begged desperately, holding out her hand as she looking over at the materialized Mahiru.

It was always impossible to tell what Mahiru was thinking. No one could be called a genius like her. Her crimson eyes looked over at the vial in her hands, tossing it over to Y/n with a small signature mischievous smile. It didn't take an idiot to know what she was thinking.

"No time to waste," Mahiru said, looking over at Shinoa.

"I know. Thanks." She nodded, "Back to the good old grind!"

"Y/n, you won't be able to withstand against-!" Guren warned, trying to take the vial away from her, not wanting her to leave again.

"Guren, she's choosing to do this."

"This is for our family's future." She said before injecting herself with the vial without hesitation.

It wasn't long before she felt her body grow numb as she fell to the floor.

She could hear Shinoa screaming at Shikama Doji vaguely as she tried her best to withstand the pain. That liquid was truly a kick to the brain, as she opened her eyes she was met face to face with the First himself.