Past Regrets

Guren POV

I did...I did promise her. I promised her I wouldn't let her out of my sight. That I would stick by her through even the worst of times. That night we promised...The night we had finally reunited in Ferid's Mansion. 

That night In Ferid's Mansion (3rd Person)

Guren fell to his knees, wanting to believe it wasn't a dream in front of him. He couldn't believe it, was it really her? The raven haired male couldn't help but feel a rush of relief wash over him. The woman he loved and longed to see in a month was right in front of him, alive and well. She was safe...tears ran down his eyes as reality kicked in. 

She was safe...but, her eyes. They were crimson, she was now a vampire...just as his past lover had underwent. That cruel reality that he couldn't save someone he loved killed him. If he lost her too...Would he still be able to press on? He blamed himself, 

If only I was there...

If only I was STRONGER, 

If only...

He knew, deep down that if he couldn't put in end to this harsh reality, his lover would suffer the consequences. Just as his past lover did, Mahiru Hiragi, even though he was manipulated by her the entire time, he was still able to forgive her. There was a light sound of footsteps, he looked up, it was her. She bent down in front of him and gently hugged him. Her body, cold, sad, her emotions and attachments would slowly begin to fade...

"Guren...Why are you crying? I'm here now, that's what matters. So please..." Guren hugged her back tightly as she paused, "Be happy." 

He couldn't be. It was an interesting thing to say, he had been through so much shit, what would make him happy? Y/n had been turned into a vampire, his friends would die in two years time, along with her, and he failed to save his father. 

Immediately he stopped crying and he wrapped his arms around her waist, as if he was trying to get her heart to work again. 

"You're warm..." She whispered, enjoying his warmth that she desperately longed for. He furrowed his brow in sadness, "I'm sorry you had to-"

"It wasn't your fault. How many times do I have to say that?!" She seemed a bit  irritated. Many thoughts ran through her mind that she wanted to scream. She wanted to yell at Guren for everything he had hid from her. Just how much longer did she have until she finally stopped caring?

"Stop being sorry, especially from things you've hidden from me! You kept the fact that Yuichiro is my sibling! That, my not even real parents gave both Yu and me to the experimenting?! That you had a past lover who killed your friends and you still care for her?! What the hell am I to you? Just a backup?! Someone to give you love just for some comfort?!" That's what she would've said if she didn't bite back her tongue. She felt like crying, but she couldn't. It was no longer an option for her. 

"Guren, don't make promises you can't keep. You'll end up hurting yourself in the end." She said instead, getting up and looking up at the sky, thinking of how when everyone she knew was dead the sky would become utterly boring to look at. Her actions surprised him, the vampire traits were really kicking in. She wasn't acting like herself. 

That night he spent it staying up, thinking. Taking to Mahiru about their plan...Even with her company, of course unwanted, he wanted to talk to Y/n. He got up and went outside, where he knew she'd be. 

"What is it? You should be resting, tomorrow you're going to keep running tests right? You'll need it." She says bluntly not even looking back.

"Not really. Look, I just came to say something-" He was cut off by her soothing yet bitter toned voice. 

"Don't need it. Already heard it all." 

"I-" He tried explaining. 

"Guren." She looked back at him, showing a poker face that wasn't readable, "What's done. Is done, okay? I don't need to hear an excuse." She sighed. He kept even more secrets than she imagined. He knew she would get taken over by the First, but he didn't want to say it. Y/n tried her best to keep her cool but she couldn't. She shook her head and got up, walking past her lover without another word. 

Guren didn't want the conversation to end like this. He gritted his teeth and grabbed her wrist and yanked her towards him. 

"Yes?" She asked. 

He held her tightly, "There's no excuse for what I did. For that I'm sorry. But I can promise you I'll stand by you through everything. I swear I won't let anything bad happen to Yuichiro. I promise...It won't be like any other time before that." He swore, this time desperately wanting to keep that promise. She shook her head and pounded her fist against his chest, bursting into tears.

"G-Goddamnit...G-Guren...Just stop...!" She sobbed, wanting him to just let go. With these few words, he meant them and she knew that. She knew from the start that it probably wouldn't go as he said, being the fool she was she trusted him. 

Only to have it broken again when she needed him the most.