Broken Promises

Guren POV

-It's too late. Now let's stick to the plan-

"Shut up!" I hissed, trying to stop Mahiru. I look over at the possessed Shinoa, who's eyes linger on Y/n. They both look at each other. 

"You finally joined the fun, I see." Shinoa snickers. Y/n walks over to her slowly, eyeing us. 

"Don't talk to me like that, after all we are the same person, just different conscious. It took me a while, her demon couldn't feed off her desires fast enough and I used it to my advantage. On top of that, HE'S coming." She informs, "The vampires are coming, and He took the devil and his demon. They're going to start a war." 

-Guren. Now or never. Saito is coming with his army. Y/n failed to keep Yuichiro from getting kidnapped and they probably injected her with a liquid that amplified her power. Her aura is now ominous and menacing. If anything, stronger than the First. 

"I don't care! Shut up!" I yell, trying to make sense of everything.

Shinya interrupts, "It's Mahiru, isn't it? You're denying her." 

"Shut up, Shinya...Saito's coming and so are the vampires." I inform. 

"They're what-?" He gets cut off by the lovely, intoxicating voice from in front of us, 

"Ichinose, you shouldn't say things you'll regret." She smiles, "Mahiru Hiragi can't help you forever. You'll die in this war if you don't get stronger. Strong enough to protect the people you love...You've been weak, clinging onto things that won't benefit you. Why is that? You would've thought that after the first couple of mistakes you would have learned something. Falling in love with this pitiful girl was a mistake, especially after you left her for that Hiragi." She sneers and began imitating the real Y/n, 

"Didn't you promise me, Guren...That you would protect me. And keep Yuu safe...? Don't go making promises you can't keep. They'll haunt you for the rest of your life. Don't go saying you love a girl after just losing your girlfriend. Don't go saying you'll protect her if you can't even choose between a demon. That really hurts...You know? Was it fun? Toying with me? Thanks to you, I'm strong now...I can protect everyone. Isn't it great?!" Her eyes filled with sorrow, but her face filled with joy and bloodlust.

-Guren. She's gone. Forget her.

'I had truly messed up. I screwed up. I lost. I played with her, kept secrets from her and this is the end result. But...I can save her. I will. I won't let you go yet.'

I gritted my teeth and called for my demon, 

"Mahiru, give me strength."

'I failed once. I wasn't going to let her go, I wouldn't fail again.'

Despite the emotion...and everything that was just said. Y/n meant it. It might have just been Shi telling her what to say, but her eyes said everything. Her pain, sadness, confliction,  everything she was feeling and slowly figuring out, it was killing her. Hearing her say that, hurt so much  more than getting stabbed through the stomach. She had kept it all in up til now. 

"Y/n. Sorry."

Y/n POV (Before she got possessed)

"Let him...g..o!" I struggled to yell. I was going to fail, I didn't have the strength, panic ran throughout my body. The panic that you might fail and you dear little brother would get kidnapped. That Panic that you might not ever see Guren again, despite everything. That after you got possessed you would never be the same person. The thought of losing the people you care about broke your heart. You raised your arm and saw the demon markings, they were slowly making their way up to your heart, it would soon be corrupted. You're breathing hitched, when the markings would read your heart there would be no going back. 

You sealed your eyes shut and tried realizing that no one would find you and help you. Your body wouldn't stop trembling, deep down you desperately wanted someone next to you to help and save you. You silently sobbed, knowing that not all promises could be kept, your heart throbbed and your eyes widened. It was truly despairing, you wished it would just take complete control over you faster, lying in pain made it all the worst. 

"G-Guren...!" You muffled your plea of help. 

You wished he would come rushing in through the door and stay by your side. He would help you, at least try. But it wouldn't happen, he was busy protecting the others and you couldn't blame him for that, at least everyone else would be safe...

"N-namaru..." You called your demon one last time.

-.....Yes, Y/n?

"I'm sorry but I have one last favor before I set you free for good."

-Of course- 

There was a pause. 

-Wait...what!? Do you know what will happen if you do that?! You'll die for good! Then I'll be set on the loose!

"I trust you will...do the right thing...Besides, I promised to set you free, and better now than being under the First' control, right?" You sighed, calming yourself down. 

-Yes...But still...What is your favor?

"C-can you...let me send a telepathic message to him?" You looked down, trying to stop crying. Your demon sighed before answering, 

-Go ahead. But you know that will kill you when you get his response. 

You took in a shaky breath,"I-I'm willing to risk it..."

'Guren...I'm sorry...I can't hold on much longer. I am..at the end of my rope, whatever you do...Please save everyone. Don't worry about me, you... won't be able to do anything. Save Yuu...I'm passing on my last wish-'

'Keep fighting..! Y/n don't give up now!' Guren intercepted, You shook your head and sobbed as your heart throbbed painfully, your eyes widened, 

'I-I love you, Guren...!'

'Y/n!!'

'I'm sorry...'

And everything went dark...

afTer tWo mOnthS dF beIng gone-