10 - Christmas

Since your argument with Sirius, the two of you had hardly spoken. In fact, you were able to stay far away from him unless it came to your potions class due to Slughorn sitting the two of you next to one another. Even so, you only ever spoke to him when you had to work on a potion together other than that you kept your mouth shut. You soon worked out that it was a challenge to keep your mouth closed around him. Normally you'd always fire a snarky remark but since that day you decided it was better just to be silent around him. 

James had certainly noticed it. He kept asking you about it in Quidditch practice, you were due to play Hufflepuff after Christmas. They were a hard team and he wanted to focus so with you not acting like your normal self he began to get worried. Remus on the other hand rather enjoyed the silence and the two of you were finally able to have your study sessions in the library. After Christmas, the cold weather would soon disappear which meant exams were around the corner. After everything your Dad had done for you, you wanted to make him proud by achieving the very best grades you could. 

Other than spending most of your time with Remus in the library and on the Quidditch pitch you also spent time with the black dog that allegedly belonged to James who you now knew as Kaz. It was a striking name for such a beautiful dog, you didn't think James Potter had enough brains on him to think of a name as unique as that. You and Kaz would often go and sit in Hagrids hut or spend time with the thestrals in the Forbidden forest. It was a dangerous place but the dog was always by your side. Besides, Hagrid was always a scream away. 

Upon seeing the dog Hagrid took a liking to him and wanted to get his own. One like Kaz, just slightly bigger and one that may look a little more threatening. Sure the black dog could look rather scary but at a mere glance, he looked more like a sweet puppy. Hagrid had even picked out a name already, 'Fang' was what he planned to call him. A name that was sure to strike fear into students but you knew Hagrid would more than likely pick a dog that turned out to be a little softy. 

Today was the day you were all due to travel home for Christmas. You were sat on the train beside Regulus. He'd asked you after the argument between Sirius if you'd sit with him on the way back. You agreed so you said your goodbyes to Lily, Marlene, and Mary although you didn't see her much due to her being so caught up with her new boyfriend just in case you didn't see them when you got to the station. You also made a note to say goodbye to Remus, James, and Peter. Not that you talked to Peter much, there was something about him that you never trusted, sort of like a rat the boy was sneaky and he certainly looked like one. 

"How do you and your father spend Christmas?" Regulus asked. 

"Well," You shifted in your seat, turning from the window to look at him. "Since we lost my mother last year the two of us just spend a few hours together then we go to the Potters." 

"You live by the Potters?" He asked, raising his brows. 

"Next door." You replied promptly. 

"Well, can I still write to you?" He asked, hopeful for the answer. 

You smiled at him. Was Regulus Black getting nervous? "Of course you can Reg, I'll be sure to write to you too." 

"Don't worry if things get too much, just write to me if you need anything." He mirrored your smile. Sirius would always warn you about his family and his brother, especially because his brother was a Pureblood supremacist allegedly. You weren't a Pureblood, you were a half-blood, and although they were regarded higher than muggle-borns you were still hated by the Purebloods. Thankfully not all of them followed those ideologies, James and Sirius being a prime examples. At least that was a good thing about Sirius. 

As your mind wandered to the older brother the compartment door slid open and almost as if he'd been reading your mind, Sirius Black was stood in the doorway, a glare wide across his face at the sight of his brother.