11 - The apple tree

You and the dog left with James who you thought would be trailing behind but he was taking his time. In actual fact, he wanted to suppress his laughter before he broke down and confessed that the black dog you had fallen in love with these past few months was in fact Sirius Black, the man you hated the most in this world. Not only that but he wanted to let you have time alone with the dog much like you would when Hogwarts started back up again. As the dog was actually Sirius it would be rather hard to spend time with you and James didn't want you to wonder why you'd never seen the dog and Sirius in the same room before. 

"He's probably fixing his hair in case we somehow manage to see Lily." You spoke to the dog, looking down at him as you held his lead from above. He looked at you with humor in his eyes at your comment but seemed to frown when he saw the lead. 

"If it was up to me you'd be able to run off the lead, I know you'd come back when I call you." You smiled down at the dog trying to reassure him. "But you belong to James, not me." 

Sirius wished he was yours, but you could never know that. 

"C'mon, let's not wait for James." You tugged the lead slightly and the dog happily followed. 

The two of you made your way through the snow-covered streets. A few Muggles were wandering the streets, smiling at you and bidding you a Merry Christmas as they went. The street lights lit up your way as you walked. The scene around you looked like it had just come out of a fairytale. Music could be heard from houses, people laughing and celebrating caused you to smile. In fact, you and the dog looked like the pair of you had come out of a fairytale as the snow began to fall on the two of you. 

Despite Sirius wanting to kill James for making him change and act as a common pet for Muggles to coo over, he was thoroughly enjoying walking alongside you. He kept looking up at you and around, making sure you were safe and okay. Smiling at his actions you went to speak but James interrupted. 

"I knew you'd go without me!" He was running after you, shoving on a suit jacket to keep himself warm, you must admit you had wished you'd stolen your Dad's jacket or even Sirius's to keep you warm. James ruffled his hair as he stopped and walked alongside you. 

"You took too long." 

"It takes some time to look this good." James gestured to himself, the action alone made both you and the dog sigh. 

"Well in that case I think you were rather fast in getting ready." You hit back. 

"Oh (y/n) that hurt." James clutched his heart, pretending to be heartbroken over your words which only made you laugh. "Shame Evans doesn't see it." 

"Maybe lay off Snape -" 

"Snivellus? That git? Never, he deserves it -" 

"Why do you hate him?" 

"He's a greasy git!" 

"Fair enough, not much of a reason though is it?"

"Well, what about you and Padfoot? What's he ever done to you?" 

"Existed." You replied bluntly. 

"Oh come on (y/n)!" James continued. "He's a nice guy -" 

"Anyone who claims they're a 'nice guy' is an asshole." Huffing, you continued. "I just hate how he acts, he doesn't care about anyone, he acts all godly and above everyone just because he can get a few girls in his bed every week." 

"Even though he looks out for you?" 

"If you're talking about what happened a few weeks ago that was just a pure fluke, he was just in the right place, right time."