Chapter Twenty

Maya sat outside the office of the military's insurance broker as she chewed at her bottom lip. The night before had triggered thoughts of her potential death that flooded through her head leaving her with not even two decent hours of rest before it came time to wish Carina a good day at work. Her eyes were tired but the decision of putting Carina's name on her insurance plan had been one she had been pondering for awhile now. The idea had been presented to her by Travis as they all sat in the marine's living room on a night where the student had been working late. Andy agreed as did Vic, if Maya were to not come back Carina deserved to have everything taken care of, including a place to live once she moved from residence once and for all.     

After at least eight hours of holding the small woman in her arms and grazing her jawline with the pads of her callused fingers, Maya decided it would be best. So here she was, nine in the morning on a Wednesday waiting to speak with Holly, a broker she had dealt with since she had enlisted. Andy and Trying showed up not even five minutes after with coffee for the tired Italian which she accepted graciously. She silently thanked them for the coffee and coming with her to the meeting to verify her and Carina's relationship. The blond-haired woman had made arrangements for them to speak for both her and the petite brunette. With some convincing from Holly they allowed it, considering Maya had been with them for four years now and was well liked by the head of the firm.    

"Lieutenant Bishop, Holly's ready for you and your friends in the back room." A small blonde with a nametag that read Tori smiled towards the three women and led them down the hall to Holly's office. Maya thanked her and took a seat in one of the leather chairs that made the room smell like a brand new car. Andy and Travis took to either side of the marine and took their seats as well.   

"Good morning ladies, Lieutenant." The older woman smiled at the marine, almost proudly as she took her file out from the large structure under her desk. "So I understand you're here to put your girlfriend on your military insurance plan, so if anything was to happen to you she would receive the death benefits, correct?"    

"Yes ma'am." Maya nodded then took a sip from the coffee in her shaking hand as her two friends nodded along with her. The woman behind the desk pulled her glasses from the top her head and placed them in front of her icy blue eyes. She smiled and continued as she grazed Maya's file.    

"Maya, you know formalities aren't needed in here." The woman scanned each page with interest as she looked for the one she was looking for.   

"Right, sorry Holly. I keep forgetting you were Mom's best friend." Maya smiled to herself sadly as she began playing with the ring her grandmother had given her nervously.     "No worries honey," Looking up from the file Holly brought the form out and gave an understanding smile to the three of them. "I miss her everyday, as you must as well. Now I hate to pry but can you tell me about her, your girlfriend I mean? I feel like I should do it for Katherine's  sake, forgive me." Maya's blue eyes brightened to the light seafoam colour Carina adored, at the mention of her girlfriend.    

"Not a problem." Maya chuckled and uncrossed her legs, feeling more comfortable in the situation as Travis and Andy giggled at the sudden burst of energy the blond-haired marine found. They loved hearing Maya describe Carina to a stranger or even just to them, no matter how many times she did it she never did explain the same quality the same way twice.      

" Holly, she's the epitome of gorgeous, it runs through her veins like blood, and I swear she doesn't know it. My God, her eyes are kind of like kaleidoscopes of honey gold and warm browns mixed together, and I never get tired of looking at them. I don't think I ever really could. She has this smile that could cure cancer and end world hunger, but it never satisfies me to see it only once. I love her laugh, it's goofy but adorable, even though she thinks it's disgusting." Maya paused and thought back to a moment she made the woman she loved laugh to the point of snorting. How her face embodied embarrassment while it turned that shy shade of red and she buried her face in the crook of the marine's neck. Maya just pressed kisses all over her cheeks and tickled her sides, attempting to make Carina look her in the eye. When she finally did, the taller Italian smiled one of those smiles that was reserved for her lieutenant and spoke the three words that would be burned in the marine's mind, forever.