Chapter Twenty-Nine (Part Two )

Just as Vic had expected; the moment Carina had walked through the apartment door, she immediately darted to her and Maya's bedroom with tears in her eyes once again. Poor girl. As if the sudden onslaught of the marine's scent hadn't made things worse enough, there was a perfectly folded paper airplane on top of the freshly made bed with the brunette's name on it's wing. That morning had been a rather blur for Carina. As soon as she was through with her morning routine in the ensuite bathroom, she made sure she made a beeline for the living room to avoid watching Maya gather her things. But she had stayed to watch her pull on the uniform. Something she was glad she had done; however, it didn't make it any less painful. It only showed her how much authority the lieutenant did have. It proved the uniform had been a mold Maya was suited into four years back and that when she put it back on, she wasn't soft anymore. She was stone.

Vic followed closely behind her and stood in the doorframe as the smaller girl brought the paper craft into her hands. She chuckled softly while hearing Levi cue to Enzo in the living room before taking a seat as he was instructed. But now her attention was on Carina, who was giving her a rather questioning look.

"Do you have any idea what this could be?" She sniffed as she wiped a few tears away from her cheeks. Maya used to be to one to do that for her. Not now.

"I do, but Car, you should really save it for lat-" The brunette hadn't even finished her sentence before Carina had began unfolding the wings of the paper plane. With a slight gasp, she saw her name written in Maya's messy print and covered her mouth before another sob could escape her lips. " Car, honey, if you want to read it we can read it. But I really think we should try and get you to eat something or drink some water first. You look about as white as your guys' sheets." Vic insisted with a sympathetic smile as she took a seat next to her friend on the bed.

"No.. Please.. Just read it to me, please?" Carina's murmured, her voice exhausted from the day's events despite it only being two in the afternoon. "I don't have the energy and if I read it, I'll hear her voice in my head and.. Just please Vic?"

"Of course, hand it over honey." The doe-eyed doctor did as was told while Vic wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Carina sunk into her best friend, immediately cuddling up to her chest and waited for the younger girl to start reading. "Are you sure about this Car?"

"Yes. Please." Vic nodded and cleared her throat before beginning.

"Dear Rina," She started but paused the moment she felt Carina tense at the nickname. However, the smaller woman nods as if to say 'I'm okay', and she continues.

"Dear Rina,

I hope you're reading this at a time before nine in the evening because you're Chief cared enough to send you home early. I hope Levi, (despite my dislike towards him) helped you realize that not being okay, is perfectly okay. I hope he told you what I would've if I were there. I hope he wiped your tears and I pray you listened to his advice.

I know you hate asking people for help because you believe your burdening them, which is why I made sure to tell Vic as well as Andy and Travis, but mostly Vic, to take care of you for me while I'm gone. I know you. I know you'd start drowning yourself in you work the moment the pain dulled down and I didn't want that for you.

I want you to live Carina.

I want you to do things you've always wanted to do, like try a dance class or maybe even go to the symphony like you've told me been meaning to do. Be the top of your intern year. But don't let that be the only thing you do without me. And I know you're sitting there cuddled into Vic or maybe Travis or Andy, hell, maybe all three of them reading this letter and you're thinking 'what the hell is this crazy bitch implying?'