Chapter Thirty-Three ( Part Two )

It hadn't been a secret to either of them that Carina had missed her lieutenant more than anyone could've possibly imagined. It showed now as she barely let the older girl out of her sight, but Maya didn't mind. She missed her just as much.

After clearing away the dinner table, Andy placed some candles on top of the cake, signalling to Travis to turn off the lights before they started singing the familiar tune. Maya was first to join in, followed by Vic, and Levi not far behind. The now twenty-two-year-old, covered her face as a bright blush crept up her neck, a wide smile tugging at her lips to match as she giggled. Carina had never been one to love being the centre of attention, every year when her friend would sing her 'happy birthday' it was the same old routine, but they hadn't seemed to mind.

Maya watched the younger girl as she placed her hands on either side of the cake after Andy placed it in front of them (Carina had opted for siting Maya's lap and being the whipped son of a bitch she was, she couldn't refuse). What? There's nothing wrong with treating your woman right! Besides, Vic ended up getting some pretty cute candids due the doctor's sudden burst of clinginess. Neither of them could blame her though, she had missed the marine. It was normal to want to hang on a little tighter. Time was limited after all.

Maya whispered the last note of the song in the brunette's ear, a grin spreading across her face as she felt Carina shiver. Her arms were wrapped around the birthday girl's waist, as she contemplated what to wish for. The brown eyes of the youngest Italian roamed around the room as she took in this moment. She felt so at home, right there, in her and Maya's kitchen, all of their closest friends present with her lieutenant's arms locked safely around her torso, that only one thing could make it better. So, with a deep inhale, Carina wished for her lieutenant's safe return home, for each time she'd leave from that moment on.

Maya settled her chin in the brunette's shoulder, mesmerized by the entire scene as she watched the candles burn out. Before she knew it, the lights had been turned back on and everyone around them had been clapping, with small cheers. It startled the marine, her entire body tensed at the sound but soon relaxed as she felt Carina's fingers intertwine with her own that rested comfortably on her stomach. Maya pecked her cheek in thanks and lingered there as she willed herself to calm down. The brunette turned her head to meet the blue-eyed marine's gaze, the same grin playing on her lips, despite the obvious concern that laced her irises. She felt it.

"You okay, babe?" Carina whispered, brushing her nose with the older girl's as she placed delicate pecks on the lieutenant's lips. Almost as if to say, 'you're okay, I'm right here'.

"Yeah, the noise just scared me a bit. It's okay, don't worry baby." Maya deflected easily, now wasn't the time to talk about that. Now, was the time to enjoy the company of their friends- family, as they celebrated Carina's twenty-second birthday. Camila knew better though, she saw right through the lieutenant solely in the way the light in the emerald eyes dimmed down. She knew her girlfriend. The doctor furrowed her brows, prepared to question further, but before she could, Ally placed two pieces of cake in front of them with an encouraging smile.

"Come on lovebirds, give it a try, the cake's delicious!" The blond chuckled lightly as she stuffed a forkful of it in her mouth, using her free hand to shoot them both a reassuring thumbs up.

"Yeah, maybe y'all can lick it off each other later." Vic snickered under her breath as she did the same. However, both Travis and Carina had caught it, which resulted in two traumatizing stink eyes from her two best-friends. Maya had seemed too enticed with the side of the doctor's face to even know if all hell had broken loose, let alone if the Polish-American had made yet another inappropriate comment.

"I heard that." Carina muttered, stuffing a forkful of cake in her mouth as she continued to glare at the younger girl. It's actually not that bad of an idea.