Twenty Six

C

being yours is easier than being my own.
༻✧༺

"I really needed a hug," I whispered against her hair. She didn't let go of me, kept her arms around me. It felt great to be held like this.

"Then maybe I should hug you more often," her words came out muffled against my shirt.

I smiled, basking in the moment. She smelled like honey, sweet and sickening, but mostly sweet. "You should."

She laughed, pushing herself off me but not completely away. Her hands were still around me and her eyes were widened with softness. "My bad, I thought hugs were reserved for special people."

I pulled her back in for a hug. "You are my special person."

"Really? Did you decide that before or after you yelled at me?" She was joking, I could hear it in her voice but I looked down as she let me go, ashamed of myself for yelling at her. She didn't deserve the way I treated her today.

Clearing my throat, I began rubbing her arm up and down. Goosebumps exploded on them. "I'm sorry. I saw Jeremy yesterday and he touched my arm, and then I saw your mom and told her off and everything was-"

"Jeremy touched you?" I froze, looking into her eyes to see them strained with anguish.

"And I spoke to your mom," I added. She was scaring me. The way she was looking at me was terrifying.
"Jeremy touched you." She repeated. Her breaths turned heavy. She was panting softly but in an angry way.

I grabbed her hand, lifting it to my lips. "Alida, it's okay. I told him off too."

She pulled her hand away, "That little shit needs to know his place."

"You know, I wouldn't call him little. He's like fifty."

"He touched you. I want to just..." She jumps softly in the spot she's standing in, making aggressive hand movements that have nothing to do with how people fight.

It's cute.

"Alright ninja girl, calm down with the gestures here." I grab her hands again, stopping her from doing whatever it was she was doing. I pull her a little closer to me so the top of

her feet are touching mine. "I'm fine now, see."

"Yes, I can see that. But you should've called me, I would've beaten him up for you."

"I don't need you beating people up." A warm smile appeared on my lips.

"You don't think I can, huh? Is that it? Because I'm a girl." She glared, lifting her face so she could stare me down. But she couldn't, 'cause she was tiny compared to me.

"No, dimwit, because I don't want you to hurt your hands." She faltered, but my hold on her hands kept her steady. She visibly swallowed, looking away. "And I also think you can't fight."

"Rude!" She pulled away, smacking my arm with all her strength.

I take back that she can't fight. She can probably take down a whole army by herself if she was motivated enough to do so.

"Hey! Mara really rubbed off on you." I rubbed the spot she smacked, a red slap mark appearing on the pale skin.

It was kind of hot.

"Not enough, she didn't." She scrunched up her nose as soon as her stomach growled, loud enough for everyone to hear. She blushed before pushing me. "Now, food. If I don't eat something in the next thirty minutes, I will be a hangry monster."