First and Second Choices

"Good luck with Yoongi

"Good luck with Yoongi."

"Thanks", Jimin whispers, pulling me into another hug. "I feel like I might need it." He tightens his arms around me - before he suddenly stiffens. "Oh - I think I should go now."

As I let go of Jimin to turn around, for a moment I freeze too. Because there is San. San who's standing only a few meters away from us, holding a crumpled yellow note in his hand and staring at us like he's just seen a ghost.

"San?" I take a step towards him. San takes a step back.

"Good luck, Wooyoung", Jimin remarks quietly and brushes his hand over my back where San can't see it. "I'll see you around." Without waiting for an answer, he turns and heads for uni.

"San, hey, wait!"

San has started to walk away, but it doesn't take me more than a few strides to catch up to him and grab his arm.

"Let go of me, Wooyoung." San yanks his arm free.

"San, what- Don't- Jimin and I were just talking, I swear... And- and why are you here already?"

Blinking rapidly, San looks everywhere but at me. "I came early. I thought you wanted... I thought you wanted to see me." He shoves the crumpled yellow note deep down into his jeans' pocket.

"I- I did." Although I didn't mean the See you at uni? like that.

I really wanted to talk to San. But somehow, this situation right now isn't going the way I imagined it.

"I just needed to talk to Jimin first."

San scoffs at that, disbelieving. Hurt.

I've hurt San. I've hurt him a lot. I've hurt him by leaving, hurt him by hugging Jimin... In a hasty attempt to tell him everything, to somehow make him understand, I stumble over my own words: "Listen, I needed with- I needed to clear things up with Jimin, because... because I kissed him Friday afternoon; I originally just wanted to apologize- to go to him to apologize for Monday, but I also thought you were hooking up with Juhee in our bathroom at the time, so I... I kinda... I don't know, I was hurting and not thinking straight because of it... but I really regret this, because I like you, San."

San looks pale. And he doesn't seem like he's heard half of what I wanted him to hear. "You've kissed Jimin on Friday?", he repeats faintly. "But... you've kissed me on Friday, Wooyoung."

I cringe. "I know I did. But I also kissed Jimin before, because-"

Oh God. How could I have screwed up so much? And most importantly, why did I have to screw up with San? I'd gladly take every F in dance classes if that meant that I'd never kissed Jimin that Friday.

How on earth could I have seriously believed that San was hooking up with Juhee anyway?

"You don't need to explain yourself." San gulps. "I don't care. Do whatever, go back to Jimin." He turns to leave once more.