Public Display of Affection

A/N: Finally an early update! (Funny enough, I wrote the previous chapter yesterday evening, but had this one almost-finished months ago already) Ly and enjoy!🧡 (btw: this is the last official chapter)

Smiling idiotically happily, I climb up the stands to the highest row of seats to watch San from there.

I have to wait in the aisle for at least twenty minutes, but finally, in the break for the evaluation of group three, a couple gets up to leave their seats, mere seconds before San's quintet enters the stage.

San smiles brightly as they introduce themselves as Seoul's Vocal Quintet – not the most creative name, but whatever – in unison, and bow simultaneously to the judges. Then one of the girls sits down at the piano to hit the first chord, someone else of their group begins with the lines and melody of Leave the Door Open, and San and the two others start background singing.

Since I know that it was mainly San who designed their little choreo, I pay extra attention to the moves – they're good. One gesture flows into the next, and even though I remember San asking if I could look over it to give him feedback on it – another thing we didn't have the time to do during the past weeks – I don't see anything that I'd want to change. It's light, perfectly fitting their focus on singing, and it's really, really good – I can't believe that San did all of that on his own.

But then he takes the lead for singing the refrain, and I forget to focus on the choreo. I suddenly feel like I've never really heard San sing live before, like he was always holding back something, and only now he isn't, because his voice sounds fuller and softer and so much more confident than I've ever heard it before – and if I wasn't already head over heels for him, maybe this would be the moment that I'd completely fall for him.

San's gaze doesn't skim over the crowded ranks as he sings; he doesn't spot me like I hoped he would. It's a little bit disappointing – but then, who am I to complain while I'm comfortably sitting on the stairs, watching other performances after having passed my own?

I still feel like every single one of San's words is directed at me – I mean, sure, this is what pop songs are made to do, appealing to everyone... but still. Every word that I say is coming straight from the heart / So if you're trynna lay in these arms- "I'ma leave the door open", San declares - and for a moment he seems anxious, which immediately makes me anxious too. "I'ma leave the door open..." There's a terrible pause, because I know the lyrics well enough to tell that one word is still missing-

"... boy", San concludes, slightly off in timing – and it takes me a few seconds to get the change in lyrics, and why his fellow quintet members all take a moment to stare at him, astounded, disbelieving, surprised.

San doesn't pull any more stunts in their remaining four songs, and I'm a bit glad he doesn't because I don't know if the jury appreciated even his one change in Leave the Door Open, from girl to boy – but at the same time, I would've liked to listen to some more of his spontaneous decisions.