1 - The Avatar State

Reader P

Reader P.O.V.

It had been a few weeks since you'd escaped the Northern Water Tribe, made it back to shore, and still had no idea where you were.

Fortunately, you did find a bathhouse that stretched over a wide river. You took Zuko and Iroh there to get themselves cleaned up and have a nice place to stay for now.

Today, some of the attendants offered to give you all massages. Iroh happily accepted while you and Zuko declined.

Now, you stood by the doorway, munching on an apple that was given to you. You watched the General relax under the hands of two
attendants and Zuko, sitting across from you and hiding his face from the world.

You walked over and say next to him.
Iroh sighed in content as his massage finished and walked over to the both of you.

"Aaahhh... this is what I've been missing. Who knew floating on a piece of driftwood for three weeks with no food or water and sea vultures waiting to pluck out your liver could make one so tense?"

Zuko only looked away from the both of you.
You turned to his Uncle.
"Sir... It's the anniversary..."
"Ahh. I see..."

Zuko kept his head down and spoke dejectedly.

"Three years ago today I was banished. I lost it all." He looked up at you suddenly. "I want it back, (Y/n)! I want the Avatar, I want my honor, I want my throne. I want my father not to think I'm worthless."

You and Iroh immediately spoke at the same time.
"You're not worthless!"
"I'm sure he doesn't! Why would he banish you if he didn't care?"

Zuko stood up and walked away. Iroh's surprised face turned to regret as you glared at him.

"Erg... that came out wrong, didn't it?"
"Ya think?!"

You watched as Zuko walked into the woods.
You wanted to go after him, but maybe he did need some time alone.

Sometime later, Zuko returned and sat with you at a table. You were seated across the table from him and had your bag open in your lap.

You stared down into it, your box taunting you with its secrets.

You thought... maybe... it might be time...
You slowly reached for it when Iroh suddenly appeared and emptied a bag of seashells on a table. He startled you and you closed your bag.

Maybe another time soon...
He lifted a few, inspecting them, and excitedly showed you.

"Look at these magnificent shells! I'll enjoy these keepsakes for years to come."
He handed you a (f/c) one.

You smile and traced the shell's outline.
"It is very pretty. Thank you, General Iroh."
"(Y/n), how many times must I tell you! Call me Uncle!"

You laughed as Iroh showed his nephew the shells as well.
However, Zuko wasn't as appreciative as you.