17 - Lake Laogai

Reader's P

Reader's P.O.V.

You came from the kitchen and walked over to the three men seated near the entrance of the shop.

"Here you are good sir! Three cups of our finest Jasmine tea for you." You said with a smile as you placed the tray down and put a cup in front of each of the men.

One man, who had introduced himself as Quon, thanked you. You left the table and came another one. You told the seated people that you were on your way to grab their tea from the kitchen.

You left and shortly reappeared with another three cups of the hot drink. Suddenly, a conversation started from behind you.

"So you're the genius behind this incredible brew. The whole city is buzzing about you" Quon held up the teacup in a hand glittering with jeweled rings. "I hope Pao pays you well."

Iroh smiled. "Good tea is its own reward."
"But it doesn't have to be the only reward. How would you like to have your own tea shop?"
Your eyes widened.

Iroh stared at the man, stunned. "M-My own tea shop?! This is a dream come true!"

Pao, the tea shop owner scampered over to join the conversation. "What's going on here? Are you trying to poach my tea maker?!"

He threw himself protectively between Iroh and Quon, who chuckled at the man.

"Sorry Pao, that's business for you, am I right?"
Pao grew increasingly desperate and turned to Iroh. "Mushie, if you stay, I will make you Assistant Manager! Wait, Senior Assistant manager!"

You stifled a laugh at Pao's meaningless promotions.
"I'll provide you with a new apartment in the upper ring. The Tea shop is yours to do whatever you want. Complete creative freedom."

Zuko glanced over from busing a table across from you as he listened in.
"I even get to name the shop?!"
"Of course!"

Pao continued to plead. "Uh, Senior Executive Assistant Manager?" Iroh set the teapot into the hands of the shop owner, who grimaced in pain. Pao walked off sorrowfully as Iroh and Quon exchange a respectful bow.

Zuko crossed by them with a tray and some empty cups, only pausing as his uncle spoke to him.
Iroh excitedly exclaimed.

"Did you hear nephew and Poppy? This man wants to give us our own tea shop in the upper ring of the city."

You walked over next to Zuko, noticing his 'could care less' expression. Quon turned to him. "That's right young man. Your lives are about to change for the better."

"I'll try to contain my joy." Zuko said gravely, continuing to walk away toward the front door after handing you the tray of cups.

You look at him worriedly as he stepped outside.
You moved to follow him, but Iroh placed a hand on your shoulder, telling you to let him go for now.