9 - Bitter Work

Iroh's P

Iroh's P.O.V.

"Hahahaha! I got you, dad!"

Iroh let out a fake cry of pain as he fell to the ground. Lu Ten fell on top of him and they both began to laugh...

Rain.

Rain fell on this stone object in front of him.
"My beloved Lu Ten, I will see you again..."
His son's grave.

He buried his son in the same hill they used to play on.

The tree was leafless and the sky was a gloomy dark red color as Iroh mourned the loss of his son.
Iroh slowly opened his eyes to look at (Y/n).

She was still unconscious, though Iroh was able to fix her up. She had landed wrong on her leg when Azula blasted her away, spraining her ankle in the process.

Thankfully, the sprain healed up pretty fast. Her breathing, though steady and calm, was still a bit wheezy.

Iroh leaned his back to the wall and sighed
Just then, Zuko walked back into the abandoned building.

"Uncle..."

Iroh nodded and his nephew sat on the other side of the sleeping woman. "She's still unconscious. Azula did this to her..."

(Y/n) let out a moan of pain and Iroh lent over to check her bandages.
"It was a surprise attack."

"Somehow, that's not so surprising."
Zuko picked up a steaming cup from the teapot behind him and handed it to Iroh.

"While you were meditating, I made you a pot of tea. I hope I made it the way you like it." Iroh took a sip from the cup and his eyes widen. He grimaced in disgust but managed to mask it.

"Mmm, good." He took another gulp and grunted. "That was very, uh... bracing!"

Zuko hands him another cup and turned, allowing Iroh to toss the liquid out the window while his nephew wasn't looking.

"So uncle, I've been thinking. It's only a matter of time before I run into Azula again. I don't want this to happen again and I'm going to need to know more advanced firebending if I want to stand a chance against her. I know what you're going to say: she's my sister and I should be trying to get along with her—"

"No, she's crazy and she needs to go down."
Zuko nodded.
Iroh stood up.

"It's time to resume your training. Meet me outside when you are ready."
Zuko nodded again and Iroh left the room.
He turned his head back to the (h/c) girl before deciding to speak.

"...(Y/n)... if you can hear me... I wanted to say thank you. Thank you for saving my Uncle... But stop. Don't ever do that again to me... I couldn't take losing you..." He careless her cheek and lightly kissed it before following after his uncle.