19 - Sozin's Comet, Part 2: The Old Masters

Reader's P

Reader's P.O.V.

June kicked an empty seat into a comfortable position before sitting down and taking a sip from her cup as the Gaang watched from the front door.
"Hey, I remember her. She helped you two attack us!" Sokka frowned.

You nervously chuckled and tightened your hold on the prince's hand.  "Yup, back in the good ol' days," Zuko mumbled as he dragged you along with him forward, the rest of the group following closely behind.

Coming up beside her, June noticed your presence and rolled her eyes. "Oh great." She said, refilling her cup. "It's Prince Pouty and his trusty nerdy sidekick. "Where's your creepy grandpa?" Zuko made a face. "He's my Uncle, and he's not here."

June rose an eyebrow as she looked up at the group and smirked. "I see you worked things out with your girlfriend." Simultaneously, Zuko and Katara blushed with sweatdrop expressions on their faces and protested.

"I'm not his girlfriend!"
"She's not my girlfriend!"
You sighed. Not this again.

June put her hands up in surrender. "Okay, okay, sheesh. Only teasing. I meant her anyway." She said, nodding her head over to you, making you blush in surprise. Her smirk grew wider.

"What? Are you gonna tell me you two aren't together yet? You're holding his hand pretty tight—"
"oKAy—! I-I mean... yes, we're together. Bu-But we have actual important business to discuss with you." You stuttered.

June amusingly leaned back further into her chair. "Still all work and no play I see. So what do you want?" "We need your help finding the Avatar."
"Hmph. Doesn't sound too fun." She said as she took another drink from her cup, riling Zuko up.

He let go of your hand as he glared with a slight outburst of "Does the end of the World sound like more fun?" June paused and stared at him, then you.
You nodded desperately, backing him up.

Outside the tavern, Appa and June's shirshu growled aggressively at each other. Then Appa licked the shirshu's face and both of them quieted down.
The shirshu suddenly turned toward its master and the group behind her.

June lifted a piece of meat and waved it persuading. "Nyla..." She threw the meat to Nyla, who caught it and chowed down quickly.  June affectionately stroked her shirshu. "Who's my little mmmh, snuffly wuffly?"

Nyla suddenly shot out her tongue and June stepped back. "Whoa! Careful there." She said as she pressed down on Nyla's nose to close her mouth. "Okay." She said turning to the gang. "So who's got something with the Avatar's scent on it?"

Katara climbed up and reached into Appa's saddle.
"I have Aang's staff." She said, pulling the stick out.
She tossed it down to you. You then turned to June and placed it in her hands. She offered the staff in front of Nyla's snout as she sniffed it.