#80 - Etched on Skin (AU) (Bonus)

Chapter 80 - Etched on Skin (AU) (Bonus)
published: Tuesday, 27 July 2021

[ requested ]

"You don't think I could stand to see a friendly face?"

"What...my face?"

The words simply didn't make sense together. Friendly face. Nico di Angelo.

"You're so dense," Will noted.

That was how it started.

—*—

Nico trudged through the strawberry fields of camp, awkwardly waving at each person he saw. A few days had passed since the final battle against Gaia. Since Octavian's fiery death. Since Leo's disappearance.

He had to admit; campers were nothing if not resilient.

"Nico!" came a breathless voice. It was Percy Jackson, wobbling as he made his way through the fields, trying his best not to trample the fruit.

Nico waited patiently for the butterflies to go crazy in his stomach upon seeing the green-eyed son of Poseidon.

Nothing.

The memory of confessing what had once been his deepest secret to Percy himself flashed through his brain. Right.

Nico felt his cheeks flush slightly. He hadn't spoken to Percy since. Gods, what if it was awkward? What if Percy never wanted to speak to him again?

"I need to talk to you," Percy panted. He finally arrived beside him, shaking his hair out before snapping his head up to look at Nico.

Nico's heart began to hammer more violently against his ribcage. Shit. This was it.

"Will said you need to be in the infirmary," Percy told him.

The blood rushing through his ears meant that Nico barely even heard what he said. "What?"

Percy waved a hand dismissively. "Something about owing him three days of rest." He shrugged. "I got Annabeth into the infirmary. I'll force you there too."
When Nico didn't react, Percy tagged on, "Will Solace? Blonde, son of Apollo—"

"I know who he is," Nico interrupted. There were the butterflies in his stomach.

"Okay, cool," Percy said, smiling. It was the signature Percy Jackson grin. Lopsided, friendly, a hint of "you have no idea what I'm about to do". Nico felt a spurt of embarrassment for his younger self; that particular move had floored him many times.

Nico hesitated. "Is that it?" This was slowly turning into one of the longest conversations he'd held with anyone in the last three years, excluding Reyna.

"Um." Percy ran a hand through his hair, a sheepish look on his face. "I mean, that is what I supposed to tell you, but..." He trailed off. "About what you said — after the battle — the other day."

Nico closed his eyes. Oh gods.

"I probably didn't react that well," Percy winced. "I was just kind of shocked. I really thought you'd hated me."

"I did," Nico said cautiously, studying Percy's expression. "A little bit. At one point. Because of Bianca. I don't anymore."

"Right, right," Percy paused. "And the...the crush. That's—"

"Over now," Nico reassured.

"I know, I just mean," the other boy stammered. "When did you..."

Okay, so they were doing this right now.

Nico knew his cheeks were hot. Miraculously Percy wasn't blushing. The boy who used to go red at every mention of his now-girlfriend. Right.