#28 - Nico the Babysitter

Chapter 28 - Nico the Babysitter
published: Monday, 28 January 2019

"Thank you so much for doing this," Calypso told Nico once again as she set her one-year-old son on to the ground. He let out a gleeful yelp and started to stagger away on his stubby legs. "Alex loves spending time with you, and Leo and I really need a break from...him."

Nico tried for a smile. "It's no problem."

A month ago, Nico had absent-mindedly said he wouldn't mind babysitting his friends' kids for a night if they wanted to go out.

Now, surrounded by 5 small children, he was seriously starting to regret it.

Leo kissed Alex on the head and whispered something to him in Spanish that made him giggle, before stepping out the door to where the rest of the Seven were itching to dash.

"Bye," Percy called to the twins – Athena and Charlie. "Love you guys!"

"Behave," Annabeth warned them as she ruffled Charlie's hair fondly.

"The baby food's on the counter," Percy informed Nico again. "There's some pizza for you in the fridge, extra diapers in the bathroom. And you know how to use the shower for them – just in case – right?"

Annabeth gently tugged her husband away. "Percy, you've told Nico this at least five times tonight. He'll be fine."

"Are you sure?" Percy asked Nico. "They won't be too much trouble for you?"

Nico shrugged. "It's fine. I've babysat Sammy before anyway. Besides, Will says I'm supposed to get in more practice before the adoption agency calls us back."

A loud shriek came from Charlie Jackson. The three adults glanced over to see his twin sister glaring daggers at him with her hands on her hips.

Charlie had broken her Lego tower again and Athena pushed him over.

"Stop it!" Athena complained.

Nico looked at them warily. Did he really want to have one?

"Athena, no pushing your brother," Annabeth sighed. "Charlie, don't break her stuff! It took her a good half an hour to do that!"

"She learnt the 'hands on the hips' from Annabeth," Percy whispered to Nico, hiding a grin.

Annabeth hooked her arm through his and dragged him to the door. "Come on, before I'm forced to stay here any longer."

"No flying, Jasper!" came Piper's voice. "Don't give Uncle Nico too much trouble!"

Nico heard Jasper whisper to his dad, "But Uncle Nico's kind of scary."

Jason laughed. He handed Jasper a sheathed dagger that Nico recognised as Katoptris. "Here, Mummy's dagger always makes you feel better."

"Is that safe?" Nico asked in alarm.

Jason waved a dismissive hand that made Nico worry for his sanity. "We've duct-taped it shut. As long as he doesn't take it out. He just likes holding it." He set the knife on the coffee table.

"Don't worry about Uncle Nico," Jason said with a grin. "He's all rainbow inside."

Nico elbowed him with a glare as Jason walked past with a goofy smile.

There were a few more "bye!"s and "see you!"s, and "thank you"s towards Nico, but soon, the apartment was empty, leaving only the five children and Nico.