#26 - The Mission

Chapter 26 - The Mission
published: Monday, 14 January 2019

As the woman in the blonde hair leaned down to the bottom of the door, the music started getting louder.

THUD!

Leo let out a high-pitched shriek and Percy's bowl of popcorn flew into the air from his violent jump as a large blue eye suddenly stared back at the lady.

Piper burst out laughing. "Your faces!" she cried, close to tears.

It was their traditional monthly (more like weekly) Argo II reunion, and Hazel had chosen to watch Annabelle. She had always wanted to see a horror movie in her first life, and now she finally could.

"It-it's a possessed doll!" Leo spluttered.

"I'm not going to sleep tonight," Jason murmured, his wide eyes glued to the TV screen.

Piper gave his hand a comforting squeeze. "Don't worry, Sparky. I'll protect you."

"No," Jason said warily. "You're going to dress up as a doll and scare the lights out of me when I go to check on Jasper."

Jasper was her and Jason's seven-month old son. He was born in April, 9 months following Piper's realisation she was pregnant shortly after Percy and Annabeth's wedding.

The babysitter who was also their neighbour was taking care of Jasper. Since he was the first baby amongst the Seven, he was adored and loved by all of them, especially by his Uncle Leo, who spoilt him beyond belief. 

Piper kissed Jason on the cheek. "Ah, you know me well." She was a horror movie junkie and revelled in seeing her friends' terror.

"You're evil," Percy complained. "Jason, why are you dancing with the devil?"

"Good educated joke, Seaweed Brain," Annabeth managed through a mouth full of crisps, pointing at him. The wedding ring on her fourth finger glinted in the light.

"You just ruined it," Percy told her.

Hazel shushed them. "I want to watch the movie!"

When Leo opened his mouth to reply, Hazel shoved him in the side and shut him up.

The movie's music was a big part of its fright element, and the crescendo heightened the tension in the room.

Everyone held on to one another in anticipation and fear.

"Demigods–"

"AHHH!" Leo instantly burst into flames, his screams engulfed by the bonfire.

Frank was the first to react, jumping to his feet in alarm. Piper yelled and scrambled away from him, beating out the flames on her jacket.

"Leo!" Jason tried covering him in a blanket, but that caught fire too. "Stop it!"

A whole gallon of water suddenly swallowed Leo whole, dousing the flames.

A panting Leo appeared, with sopping wet hair and latched on to Hazel's arm in fear.

Percy withdrew his hand and the water dried out from the now charred carpet.

"Leo, what the hell?" Annabeth demanded.

Leo's right eye was twitching and his eyes bulged in terror.

"You owe me a new carpet," she said firmly. "I liked that one."

"Sorry," a voice rang out. "I'm afraid I might have given you a bit of a fright."