#69 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part IV)

Chapter 69 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part IV)
published: Monday, 31 August 2020

"Chiron's smart," Annabeth said, wiping the sweat off her face. "If we pursue, we'll get too spread out. We need to regroup."

"But the enemy—"

"They're not defeated," she agreed. "But the dawn is coming. At least we've bought some time."

Percy frowned. Annabeth knew he didn't like pulling back, but he didn't dispute her decision. He watched as the last of the telkhines scuttled toward the East River. Then reluctantly, Percy turned and headed back toward the Empire State Building.

They set up a two-block perimeter, with a command tent at the Empire State Building. Chiron informed them that the Party Ponies had sent chapters from almost every state in the Union. Roughly five hundred total had answered his call, but even with that many, they couldn't defend more than a few blocks.

Annabeth helped to round up the rest of their forces, helping a limping Willow back to camp. Kayla and two other Hunters were dead, and Annabeth didn't want to think about that, so she forced herself to press ahead, walking towards Percy and Chiron, who were having a discussion in low tones.

"And Typhon?" Percy asked.

"Typhon?" Annabeth looked between them. "What?" She knew the name from mythology, but she was surprised that Percy did.

Chiron's gaze darkened. He explained everything about the Olympians fighting the strongest mythical monster in history to keep him from ravaging New York. Annabeth paled at the mention. In the flurry of activity, Percy had forgotten to inform her about it.

"The gods are tiring. Dionysus was incapacitated yesterday," Chiron said gravely. "Typhon smashed his chariot, and the wine god went down somewhere in the Appalachians. No one has seen him since. Hephaestus is out of action as well. He was thrown from the battle so hard he created a new lake in West Virginia. He will heal, but not soon enough to help. The others still fight. They've managed to slow Typhon's approach. But the monster can not be stopped. He will arrive in New York by this time tomorrow. Once he and Kronos combine forces—"

"Then what chance do we have?" Percy said despairingly. "We can't hold out another day."

We'll have to," Thalia said, joining them. "I'll see about setting some new traps around the perimeter." Annabeth gave her a tired nod.

"I will help her," Chiron decided. "I should make sure my brethren don't go too overboard with the root beer."

As Chiron cantered away with Thalia, Annabeth felt a jolt of guilt. "I feel like I'm abandoning them," Annabeth murmured. "I'm being a terrible lieutenant. I've barely had enough time to talk to them personally—"

"You're being a leader," Percy said, face serious. "You can't blame yourself for it."

Annabeth wasn't convinced, but she nodded anyway. There were so many reasons why she wasn't fit for this role, but it was too late to do anything about it.

As she cleaned the slime off her dagger, she saw Percy watching her like a hawk.

"It feels like this is the last we'll ever..." Percy trailed off.

Annabeth lowered her knife. "Percy, even with the centaurs' help, I'm starting to think—"

"I know." Percy hesitated. "Listen, there were some visions Hestia showed me."