#19 - Housewarming

Chapter 19 - Housewarming
published: Monday, 12 November 2018

"Would you like to christen it?" Percy gestured towards the door of their new apartment.

Annabeth grinned at him. "Oh, go ahead. I know you want to."

Percy leaned forward excitedly and started twisting the keys in the lock. After a few seconds, he frowned. "Annabeth..."

She stepped forward with a sigh. "You turned it the wrong way." She edged him out and rerouted the keys. The lock clicked and the door opened with a light push.

Percy wrapped an arm around Annabeth's shoulders and pulled her into his side. "I'm so glad we're doing this, did I tell you?"

She laughed, tiptoeing to reach his height. Annabeth pecked him on the cheek affectionately. "Yes, about ten times today."

Percy blushed. He stepped into the apartment and scanned the area. They had visited the place a few times to check it out, but this was their first time here since buying the apartment. Percy felt a strange sense of familiarity.

"We've got the whole day to ourselves," Annabeth reminded him. "I'll probably head out before lunch to buy some flowers for the house, then we should stop by Ikea to get some stuff."

Percy peeled off his coat and draped it on the stand. "Can't I just stay at home while you do all that?"

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Don't be lazy, Seaweed Brain. It's our home, so you've got to help me."

She checked her watch. "We need to get utensils and dishes and pots. I should probably make a shopping list." Annabeth sighed as she surveyed the stacks of boxes across the floor. "I'm starting to regret my life choices."

"Come on, I'll help you," Percy encouraged her. He knelt down and started ripping open the first box. After pulling at the tape in frustration, Percy gave up and sat back.

He gave Annabeth a strange look. "Hey, do you think Riptide would work on this? I mean, it's not technically a mortal."

"It's not exactly a demigod," Annabeth mused. "It's plausible."

Percy uncapped his sword and raised it above his shoulder.

"Hey guys!" Hazel's cheerful voice interrupted them as the door clicked and swung open. She traipsed inside, followed by a whole troop of their friends.

Percy snorted. "Hello, people who do not live here."

"What's up?" Leo crowed, looking around the apartment. "Looking good, guys." He didn't even seem weirded out by Percy about to hack away at a cardboard box.

Annabeth cleared her throat. "Excuse me, we gave you that key for emergencies."

Piper raised the empty bag of chips in her hand. "We were out of Doritos."

"You don't have any chips?" came Jason's disappointed voice from the kitchen.

Annabeth crossed her arms. "We got here exactly two minutes ago."

"Well, you need to get Doritos," Jason advised them. "And maybe stock up on some yoghurt too?"

"Yoghurt?" Frank pulled a face. "What for?"

"A healthy breakfast," Jason insisted.

"Oh my gods, you sleep at 7.30, don't you?" Piper muttered.

"Enough!" Annabeth held up a hand for silence. "You all need to leave so we can unpack. Go to Leo and Jason's place! Hang out there instead!"

Hazel's face wrinkled in disgust. "That hellhole? It reeks of old food and unwashed laundry. Besides, I need to plan my wedding somewhere, and our apartment isn't ready yet."