#68 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part III)

Chapter 68 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part III)
published: Monday, 24 August 2020

"Is this the place?" Kayla asked uncertainly.

Annabeth, who led the group in a determined walk, scanned the scene. This was the destination of Artemis' directions. It should be...

Her thoughts muted as, a few yards ahead, Annabeth spotted the outlier to the silent, sleeping people of Manhattan; a group of maybe 40 teenagers gathered.

They were in discussion, it was obvious, but Annabeth recognised Will Solace's blonde hair, and she surged forward, heartbeat speeding up inexplicably.

At the head of the group, someone was speaking. "...the Holland Tunnel. Jake, take the Hephaestus cabin there. Use Greek fire, set traps. Whatever you've got." It was Percy, giving out instructions to the demigods like he'd spent his entire life doing so. Annabeth couldn't help the grin that tugged at her lips upon seeing him like that. Percy was a natural leader. He might not believe it, but Annabeth did. "The 59th Street Bridge, Clarisse—" He broke off suddenly.

"We'll take that," Malcolm stepped in. "And activate plan twenty-three on the way, as previously discussed.

Thalia nudged Annabeth. "You okay?" They were still hanging at the pavement across the street, the demigods' paying rapt attention and not paying attention to their arrival.

Annabeth nodded stiffly. She could do this. She hadn't spent three months rebuilding her friendship with Artemis and reinforcing her position among the Hunters' ranks only for it to crumble once she caught sight of the boy who'd basically stolen her heart.

Screw you, Percy, she thought to herself, frowning inwardly.

"Okay," Percy nodded. "Keep in touch with cellphones." He demonstrated, picking up a Blackberry from a woman slumped on the sidewalk. "If you need to call, pick one up, call, then drop it. That'll make it harder for the monsters to zero in on you."

Travis raised a hand. "And if we find a phone we really like?"

Percy rolled his eyes. "No, you can't keep it."

"Aw, man."

"Hold it," Jake Mason said. "Percy, you forgot the Lincoln Tunnel." Even from this distance, Annabeth saw Percy bite back a curse and frown.

Taking a step forward, Annabeth called out, "How about you leave that to us?"

Almost in unison, the campers' heads swivelled to look in astonishment at the twenty-something almost-thirty adolescent girls as they crossed the street, decked out in varying shades of silver and grey clothes.

Cheers erupted from the campers. "Annabeth!" Connor almost yelled. "Thalia!"

Hugs and greetings were swapped all around — well, at least, the two of them were friendly. Annabeth knew that a lot of her Hunters didn't exactly enjoy the company other males.

"Where have you been the last year?" Annabeth heard Percy ask Thalia in disbelief. "You've got, like, twice as many Hunters now!"

Thalia laughed. "Long, long story. I bet our adventures were more dangerous than yours, Jackson."

"Complete lie."

"We'll see," she promised. "After this is over, you, Annabeth, and me: cheeseburgers and fries at that hotel on West 57th."