#30 - A "Safe", "Calm" College Frat Party

Chapter 30 - A "Safe", "Calm" College Frat Party
published: Monday, 11 February 2019

"So..." Hazel paused. "What exactly is this party?"

Percy shrugged as they cruised down the road in his new second-hand car — a birthday present from his mum and Paul. "It's a college fraternity party. My friend — Ken, who's a Psychology major — invited me last week and said I should bring some of my friends."

"But what are they celebrating?" Hazel asked, puzzled. "Is it his birthday?"

Piper laughed and shook her head. She ruffled Hazel's hair affectionately. "You're too good for this world, Hazel."

"He said it's a small thing," Percy assured his friends. "Just close friends."

"Are we almost there?" Leo whined.

"Pulling up," Percy promised.

Sure enough, as the car slowed down, an enormous building came into view.

Percy stopped his car with raised eyebrows, staring at the fraternity house in astonishment.

Flashing lights shone in all directions, leaving Percy blinking black spots away. Pulsing music dominated the area, deafening even from the car.

A whole crowd of people milled about the front yard, noisy chatter drifting around.

"How many close friends does Ken have?" Leo asked sarcastically.

Percy frowned. "The GPS says this is the house."

Jason squinted. "It doesn't look very quiet."

Percy sighed as he parked the car by the roadside and turned the engine off. "Yeah, let's see what's going on."

After they helped each other out of the car and Percy handed the keys to Jason — the designated driver for the night — they started towards the house.

"What time is Annabeth meeting us here?" Piper shouted over the music.

"Soon," Percy yelled back.

The second he stepped onto the front lawn, someone crashed right into him, laughing giddily.

"Sorry, dude," the boy said in a wobbly tone, a red cup clutched in his right hand with liquid sloshing around inside.

Frank wrinkled his nose as the boy staggered away to his sniggering friends. "Is that beer?"

Percy sighed. "I'm gonna kill Ken."

"Percy!" a loud voice hollered. "My dude!"

Percy blushed as Jason raised his eyebrows.

A boy a few years older than them with dirty blonde hair stumbled up to them with a dreamy grin on his face.

"Hey, Ken," Percy greeted cautiously, eyes flickering to the bottle of beer in his hand. "I thought you said it was...quiet."

"It is!" Ken exclaimed giddily.

Percy blinked as the stench of the alcohol in his breath hit him. He glanced around. "But Ken, most of the people here aren't even 21."

"Oh, lighten up," Ken complained. "It's a party, Percy!" He walked away to greet other guests.

Percy turned to his friends and shrugged. "Should we go inside?"

The party scene inside the house was so much worse than outside. Everyone dancing, jumping and screaming lyrics to the song at the top of their voices.