#14 - A Fateful Football Game

Chapter 14 - A Fateful Football Game
published: Sunday, 7 October 2018

NOTICE: This chapter was requested by its_pronounced_trash . Apologies for the massive delay. Thank you so much for your supportive comments, and I hope this chapter lives up to your expectations!

—*—

"Are we there yet?" Hazel asked for the fifth time.

Frank snorted unattractively as he opened his eyes sleepily. He sighed internally. This was the sixth time Hazel had asked the exact same question and woken him up from a peaceful sleep.

Nico, who was sitting on Hazel's left, groaned. "You're like one of those annoying children who just never shut up."

"Sorry, I'm just excited," Hazel told him, her voice cheerful with anticipation. "I've never been to Europe! Planes weren't that common when I was alive the first time."

"You went to China with me last year," Frank reminded her.

"Yeah, but this is Europe!" Hazel emphasised. "And it's London!"

"None of us have been to Europe either," came Will's voice from the seat behind Hazel. He was currently kind of in an awkward position - the girl on his right had her head on his shoulder.

Normally, Nico would've been annoyed, but he found Will's discomfort hilarious.

"I have," Nico reminded him. "I accidentally shadow-travelled there on the way back from China."

"Is it nice?" Hazel asked.

Nico shrugged. "I don't really remember considering I passed out on the street when I arrived."

"I can't wait!" Hazel said again with a large smile. "There're so many things I'll get to see. There's Baker Street, where Sherlock Holmes takes place. And of course, Buckingham and Windsor Palace. The beefeaters, and all the telephone boxes-"

"And the soccer stadium," Frank added happily. It was the main reason why they were going to London in the first place. After seeing a soccer game between Premier League teams Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur's last year, Frank has become a strong supporter of Arsenal. They were heading to London to watch one of Arsenal's home matches at their stadium.

"The Brits call it 'football'," Nico reminded him. "And I've heard that they get pretty annoyed when people call it 'soccer'."

"Then let's call it 'football'," Hazel reasoned. "I don't like either sport so it makes no difference to me."

The rest of the plane flight was uneventful, other than the girl sitting beside Will sliding her phone number into his palm when they reached baggage claim.

"HE'S GAY!" Nico shouted after her.

Will clamped a hand over his mouth in alarm. "Let's go," he said hurriedly, the other passengers giving them strange looks.

Frank had been very organised this trip, even though the fees had been expensive. Working as a fireman did not pay the highest wage, but he and Will - who was still in medical college - teamed up to earn enough. Will worked part-time at a clinic as an on-call doctor/nurse during his free hours, which paid pretty well for a 21-year-old.