#12 - The Accident

Chapter 12 - The Accident
published: Monday, 24 September 2018

"Hey, Perce, can I borrow a pencil?" Jason called out.

Percy threw one of his 2B stationery in his friend's direction. "Don't you have one?"

"I ran out a while ago." Jason groaned, slamming his hands down on the coffee table in frustration. "I'm never going to finish this. Ever!" Sheets of graph paper with rough blueprints on them were scatted across the table, with Jason seated on the carpet in front of them.

"Why don't you just call Annabeth?" Leo suggested. "Isn't she the architecture guru?"

"This is graphic design, Leo." Jason rolled his eyes. "It's completely different from architecture."

"You both use pencils to draw lines and circles on pieces of paper," Leo said slowly. "I honestly don't see the difference."

Frank made a "mm" of agreement as he tossed a dog treat to Split, who was running around his feet.

"How come you're off today?" Percy asked Frank. "Isn't Friday, like, the peak hour for fires?"

Frank set down his mug of hot chocolate. "Yeah, but we've got newbies coming in, and the captain said that today's their final test, so I'm just taking time off unless they call me in for an emergency."

"And you?" Percy asked Leo. "You're never home before midnight."

"Calypso wanted time for the strawberries." When he received looks of confusion, Leo corrected, "She took a break from mechanics and decided to do some gardening at camp, so we've changed garage opening hours from 10 to 6. Plus, we're getting pretty established in New York now and we've got some regulars, so we can hire more workers soon to help us out. Then, I can spend more time chilling out here with you guys."

"Go back to work." Jason threw his eraser at Leo. "You're just distracting me from all my stupid projects. Why did I take Design anyways?"

"Don't ask me." Percy spread his arms. "I took Biology, and I hate reading things."

Jason opened his mouth to say something when three sharp knocks sounded from the outside.

Leo furrowed his eyebrows as he pointed to each of them and counted in his head. "We're all here. Could it be Piper?"

Jason shook his head. "I gave her a key last week."

Percy abandoned his textbook and walked up to open the door. He blinked in surprise when he saw his girlfriend standing at the door.

Annabeth's blonde curls were scraggly and flattened from the rain, and drops of water ran down her face, but her red-rimmed eyes gave Percy the idea that it probably wasn't rain.

"Annabeth, I-What are you doing here?" Percy asked in confusion. He waved a hand dismissively as he hurried her in. "Gods, you must be freezing, didn't you use an umbrella? Hey, I'll get you a towel."

Percy made for the bathroom, but Annabeth gripped his arm weakly. "No, please. I-" Her voice was cracking and hoarse, matching the shuddering breaths she was in taking.

"I'll get it," Leo told him as he went to the bathroom.

"Annabeth," Percy said as he pulled her to the couch. He ran a thumb across her cheek for comfort as she sniffled. Instantly, he knew something was wrong. Annabeth never cried. "Hey, what happened?"

When all he received in answer were sobs, Percy shifted closer to her and kissed her softly. "What's wrong?"

"I-I-They called, a-and I didn't know what to...I just, I just got in the car and I came h-here, and-and," Annabeth stammered unintelligibly.