#17 - Stalemate

Chapter 17 - Stalemate
published: Monday, 29 October 2018

"Corn cob?" Percy offered in an attempt to break the silence.

Nico Di Angelo just shook his head in silence.

Percy threw a glance over his shoulder to the Athena table, where his friend Annabeth was sitting like 'help me!'

Talk to him, Annabeth mouthed, jerking her head in Nico's direction.

Percy fidgeted in his seat. What was he supposed to say to a scary 12-year-old who was a son of death? Not to mention that Percy had indirectly killed his older sister. "Uh, so. How's camp so far?"

Nico shrugged and prodded the vegetables on his plate. "Okay, I guess. I tried the lava wall the other day; not a good idea."

"Made any friends?" Percy asked hopefully.

He felt guilty when Nico slumped even further into his bench. "The campers hate me. No one talks to me, how can I make friends?"

Percy inconspicuously through another S.O.S. look to Annabeth, and this time she sighed and got up from her table.

"Hey, Nico," Annabeth said as she slid into the space beside him. "I hope Percy isn't bumming you out. He can be pretty bad company sometimes."

"Hey!" Percy protested. He tried to ignore the fact that she was sitting at his table. He glanced at Chiron, but he seemed to be okay with it because she was welcoming Nico.

Nico cracked a smile.

Percy swore Annabeth had magical powers.

"And Capture the Flag's coming up soon," Annabeth said, nudging Nico's shoulder. "The campers get all wound up and the game's never a disappointment."

"And you can be on our team!" Percy suggested. "Annabeth always leads, and I always ally with her because well, never bet against Annabeth. And you can join us; we can be, like, the Big Three duo."

Nico raised an eyebrow. "The Big Three duo?"

Percy pulled a face. "I'll come up with a better name."

"Campers, attention please!" The clip-clip of Chiron's hooves were enough to quieten the campers. "Since Capture the Flag is Friday night next week, the team leaders have been decided today."

Loud cheers erupted from the Ares and Athena tables - the usual game leaders, since they were the largest cabins.

"Leading the red team is..." Chiron paused for effect. "The Athena cabin!"

Whooping and shouting went up from their table, as the siblings high-fived each other and started discussing plans.

"Okay, I have an idea," Annabeth said to me in a hushed voice.

"Silence!" Chiron stamped his hooves. "And leading the blue team will be...the Poseidon cabin!"

Silence filled the pavilion. Eyes quickly swivelled between Annabeth and Percy, as the two of them quickly realised what this meant.

"What?" Percy was so astonished that the fry he'd been munching fell out of his mouth.

A flurry of whispers crossed the pavilion.

"Percy and Annabeth..."

"Ooh, this is going to be interesting."

"You're going down, Seaweed Brain," Annabeth declared.

Percy matched her gaze. Her features were hardened, but there was a mischievous twinkle in her eye.

"Not a chance, Wise Girl," Percy snorted.