#3 - Beach Surprise

#3 - Beach Surprise
published: Monday, 2 July 2018

Leo leaned back on the warm sand with a sigh of satisfaction. The sun beating down on him was perfect when matched with the cooling sea breeze, the freezing drink in his hand, and the view of a very beautiful bikini-clad girl.

"Stop staring," Annabeth hissed at Leo, whose eyes hadn't left her body since she'd taken off her shorts and t-shirt.

When Leo didn't shift his gaze , Calypso smacked him round the head. "Her eyes aren't there," she warned him.

Leo grinned cheekily at his girlfriend. Calypso wasn't very keen on getting in the water - she insisted that the cuts on her legs would sting if she entered the salt water - so she sat on the beach mat next to Leo in a long chiton; the simple white, flowing dress she always wore.

Percy let out another whoop that reached the shore despite him being far, far away in the ocean. His surfboard caught another huge wave, flipping Percy over and headfirst into the water as he reached the wave's crest.

Piper laughed at him so hard she fell off her own surfboard, and the two of them were caught in the current created by Percy's water powers. Will, who was surfing alongside them, got caught in the ripples and nearly toppled off his board.

"That looks terrifying," Hazel said to Frank. She was wearing a dark swimsuit that covered her torso, exposing her neck, arms and legs. Even though Piper told her it was completely normal to wear bikinis, Hazel was more stubborn than Festus was when it came to modesty.

"I guess they like the fear," Frank said with a shrug. He was wearing his swimming trunks, lounging next to Hazel on their picnic mat, food laid out in plates.

On their right, Nico sat on the beach mat he and Will were sharing. He had his head facing downwards as he read his book, completely focused on it.

Leo asked him earlier what book he was reading.

"The Cemetary of the Undead," Nico told him. "Dead bodies wake up at midnight and haunt the town."

Leo shielded his eyes from the sun so he could see Piper catching another wave. Percy didn't make this one as big, so Piper could surf the whole wave till it subsided. When she succeeded, Will and Percy cheered from the water.

"Guys, do you want to join us?" Will shouted at the shore. "The waves are huge."

Leo shrugged. Learning to surf could be fun. He and Annabeth got up and each chose a surfboard from Will's collection.

"Annabeth!" Percy called from the waves. "That board's for professionals, it's harder to balance on."

Annabeth shrugged and continued wading into the water.

Leo was having a bit more trouble holding on to his surfboard. It kept floating away on the water, and Leo was getting a tick in his right eye just from being unable to hold it still.

When they were halfway in the water, Leo called out to Percy, "Send us a wave!"

Percy shrugged and raised a fist, causing a gigantic wall of water to come crashing towards them.

"I MEANT A SMALL WAVE!" Leo screamed, abandoning his surfboard as he started making a run for the shore. He looked to his left and saw Annabeth climbing into her surfboard and paddling towards the wave. "ANNABETH, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?"

Leo half-ran, half-watched as Annabeth steadied herself with her hands and placed both feet on the surfboard. Slowly, slowly, she found her balance and started mimicking the stance she'd seen Percy use earlier.