#39 - Break My Heart Again (AU)

Chapter 39 - Break My Heart Again (AU)
published: Monday, 26 August 2019

Time Frame: an Alternate Universe (AU) taking place after the Blood of Olympus; following Chapter 38 - Acceptance Letters; They are all still demigods and the events of the books are completed.

Prompt: Even after all their battles, Annabeth and Percy break up over college destinations. Individually, they keep in contact with the rest of the Seven but haven't seen each other in three years. After Annabeth's bachelor degree is finished, she returns to New York for an important demigod wedding and is forced to confront the pain from her past.

Warning(s): Mentions of self-harm and suicidal thoughts

—*—

Her eyelids fluttered as she wrapped a strand of blonde hair around a curling iron, waiting for the curls to fully steam before carefully removing it.

"You look beautiful."

Annabeth's gaze turned to see her stepmother leaning against the door frame with a small smile on her face. Helen's face was wrinkled with frown lines, but the hesitantly kind expression was enough for her.

"Thanks," Annabeth said, her voice barely above a whisper. As she stood up, the skirt of her dress rippled with the motion of her wobbling on heels. "Okay," she voiced, louder this time. "This is ridiculous. Where are my Vans?"

Helen snorted. "There she is. I was wondering where our Annabeth had gone."

"Weddings are a pain," Annabeth grumbled. "I don't understand why formal wear is mandatory. When I get married, everyone is welcome to come in jeans and a t-shirt."

"Enough with the sarcasm," Helen said with a chuckle. Her right hand appeared from behind her back with a pair of black Vans. "I knew you'd change your mind."

"You're an angel," Annabeth sang as she kicked off the blue pumps and pulled on a pair of white socks. "I'm sure Clarisse will understand. I'm already wearing a dress; I think that's enough."

Helen steadied her by the shoulders, her eyes raking her from head to toe. Annabeth knew she looked pretty good considering she rarely ever dressed up special occasions like this.

Brushing the pieces of hair that had fallen out from her ponytail, Helen bit her lip. "You know he'll be there, right?"

Almost instantly, the inevitable feeling of dread lodged itself at the bottom of her stomach. Percy Jackson had disappeared from her life ever since their break-up right before she left for Harvard.

The pressure of school and a long-distance relationship had been too much for them to bear — no matter how in love they were. Annabeth had never been able to get rid of the image of Percy's heartbroken expression the night they'd decided to call it quits. It was seared into her mind forever.

"Yeah, it-it'll be fine."Annabeth swallowed back her nerves. "On the bright side, the others will be there."

Helen passed her a pair of dangling diamond earrings. "Didn't you all go to Hazel and Frank's for Christmas last year?"

Annabeth nodded. "Yeah, lots of fun." Reunions with the rest of the Argo II's crew was always tough when she and Percy could barely be in the same state at the same time.

There was an unspoken decision that they would take it in turns. According to Jason, Percy had been off to visit Paul's family with his parents and his younger sister Estelle, and since Annabeth was in New York for the winter, she decided to join in the festivities at Hazel and Frank's new apartment.