#61 - The Avengers (AU) (Part II)

Chapter 61 - The Avengers (AU) (Part II)
published: Monday, 6 July 2020

Added characters:
Obadiah Stane: Octavian
S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Maria Hill: Clarisse La Rue

—*—

"It's a lovely night for a jog, isn't it?" Percy couldn't help himself when Annabeth walked into the kitchen, in mis-matched leggings and sports bra.

The clock read 2.34am, and Percy and Hazel had just finished another episode of Downton Abbey.

It was Annabeth's first night living in the Tower, and clearly she wasn't feeling very peaceful. She didn't answer, simply taking a bottle of cold water from the refrigerator.

Words echoed in Percy's head.

Big man in a suit of armour. Take that off, what are you?

Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist.

He cleared his throat turning back to Hazel. "Another episode?"

Hazel's gaze was narrowed in on Annabeth, who was facing the other way. Percy could almost see the analyses running through her head.

Stop that, he wanted to tell her. It freaks me out when you look at us like another one of your case files.

Percy didn't say it though. Hazel already disliked him, as was clear from her initial report about him to Mr D — "doesn't play well with others" — and he didn't need to make it worse.

I know guys with none of that worth ten of you. I've seen the footage. The only thing you really fight for is yourself.

This was officially the most time Percy had spent in Annabeth's presence since the Battle of New York. Apparently eight months apart hadn't been enough to ease the tension.

Fighting was easy. Shooting robots as Annabeth bounded by his side, his rays rebounding off her shield to sear away enemies.

This was the difficult part. After the battle. Percy couldn't think of a single conversation they had ever had that didn't end in an argument.

It was a clash of personality, Percy told himself. He'd pretty much spent his entire life fending for himself, and then suddenly, he was expected to be a team player.

Annabeth was a leader. And a soldier. She expected him to take her orders like gospel.

You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play. To lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you.

Percy hadn't forgotten the harsh words Annabeth had thrown at him on board the Helicarrier. He doubted that she'd forgotten either.

I think I would just cut the wire.

Always a way out. You know, you might not be a threat but you'd better stop pretending to be a hero.

"So, what's keeping you up late?" Percy heard his own voice like it was coming from someone else. Annabeth's words from almost a year ago were imprinted on his brain like a horrible burn. "Missing old friends? Trying to figure out how to turn on a phone?"

He knew it was harsh — reopening old wounds. But he felt so angry, hearing their argument replay in his head over and over again.

A hero? Like you? You're a laboratory experiment, Chase, everything special about you came out of a bottle.

Put on the suit. Let's go a few rounds.

"You know, I do miss my old friends. Especially Howard. I don't know how he ever made someone like you. He's ten times the man you'll ever be," Annabeth spat.