#24 - By the Beach

Chapter 24 - By the Beach
published: Monday, 31 December 2018

"Is it hot in here?" Percy stammered. He quickly untied his bow tie and set it down on the table, then proceeded to undo the top two buttons of his shirt.

Percy nervously clicked his pen as he fidgeted in his seat.

What if she changed her mind? What if she was having second thoughts?

Percy wanted nothing more than to race down the halls and find her, but as wedding traditions went, the groom could not see the bride before the wedding. His mother had been very insistent.

As a result, Percy hadn't seen Annabeth since the day before. Considering they lived together in Manhattan, it was strange for Percy not to hear her chiding him for exploding the microwave or something else.

Suddenly, the pen was plucked out of his hand.

Percy's head shot up in protest.

"I'm confiscating this," Jason declared firmly, tossing the pen back into Percy's desk.

They were in the Poseidon cabin at Camp Half-Blood, waiting for the cue.

Grover, Percy's best man, was up at the receiving line with Sally, Paul, Chiron and Thalia, Annabeth's maid of honour.

Frank has gone to the Aphrodite cabin, where some campers were helping Annabeth get ready. Percy assumed Piper was racing around the place trying to keep everything organised and on time. She had been stressing about the wedding for months now.

"Can I see Annabeth?" Percy asked Jason.

Jason sent him an apologetic look. "I'm sorry. You know you can't."

Percy slumped in his chair. "I wish I could see her. Just to make sure she hasn't run off."

Jason snorted. "Run off? You must be crazy. You two are basically fated to be together."

Percy ran a hand through his hair. "I know. I'm just nervous. I mean, this is probably the most important day of my life; what if something messed it up? A monster with a vendetta? A mix-up with the cheeses?"

Jason patted him on the back reassuringly. "It'll be fine."

The door to the cabin burst open, and Nico came sprinting through between rapid pants.

"Nico, what the hell?" Percy scrambled to his feet and hurried to his friend.

Nico's suit was ripped and scratched all over, and his Stygian sword hung from his belt.

"Monster...attack..." he managed to get out.

Jason helped him to the chair.

"Percy!" Piper yelled as she stalked into the cabin.

"Nico's injured!" Percy yelped.

Piper scanned him over. "He's fine," she decided. "There was some trouble with a Cyclops on camp borders."

"Exercise..." Nico choked. "Not really...my thing."